Letter from the Editor: Welcome to Pitt and The Pitt News

By Amy Friedenberger

I know the 100 pages might appear daunting, but this stack of newsprint could be one the most… I know the 100 pages might appear daunting, but this stack of newsprint could be one the most valuable things you’ll come across this summer in your effort to become acclimated to the city.

When I found the New Student Guide in my bag during Pitt Start — buried among all of the other useful pamphlets of information such as dining options and transportation — it was the only reading material that I read cover to cover. It wasn’t because I wanted to join The Pitt News, but because what better way to learn about your campus than from people who have spent years learning its ins and outs?

Inside of the New Student Guide, we don’t just tell you the different options for dining at and around Pitt, we tell you which places your peers recommend. That’s because after being at Pitt for several years, people learn the best meal at the food carts or the key to getting a spot in the Oakland Zoo.

Our tireless news reporters, creative A&E staff, veteran columnists and team of sports fanatics cranked out dozens of stories, and then our editors, page designers and business staff worked for hours to produce the pages that you hold in your hands.

But we don’t stop serving the students after the New Student Guide. The Pitt News is your primary source for campus news during your time at Pitt. We worked late nights and early mornings as we reported on the bomb threats, and we had phones glued to our hands as we covered the comings and goings of four different football coaches that passed through Pitt in two years.

About 100 students make up our editorial division to produce stories, photos and multimedia, and about 20 students make up the business side of our staff, selling advertising and allowing The Pitt News to remain an independent, student-run publication.

But this year, we want the students to play a larger role in The Pitt News. We’re making the plunge into social media, but that doesn’t mean that we just want to post stories on Facebook and send some Tweets. We want to engage you.

If we send out a Tweet asking for photos from the football game, share some with us, and we’ll share it with our audience of more than 8,500 followers. On Facebook, we ask for students and faculty to submit their own pictures so we can feature them as our cover photo. And while you’re on the page, join the conversation. Disagree with one of our columnists? They enjoy hearing opposing opinions.

If you don’t like something we’re doing, let us know. And if you do like something we’re doing, let us know that, too.

If you hated the editorial or loved the album review, give me a call at 412-648-7985. Or write a letter to the editor by emailing [email protected]. Better yet, come up to the office at 434 William Pitt Union. There are always people here during the day, and sometimes we even stick around until 1 a.m. making sure we put out a paper that best serves the Pitt community.

You could also join us.

If always being in the know, interviewing musicians or chatting with the men’s basketball players sounds enticing, then you should apply to be a part of our staff. We’re always taking applications for our news, opinions, arts and entertainment and sports sections. We even have space for copy editors, illustrators, cartoonists, photographers and page designers. Information on all of that can be found at pittnews.com.

You don’t need to come in with a portfolio of clips, photos or graphics. We’ll teach you how to get information about crimes and how to write an interesting film review. The most important thing is that you’re eager to learn. Oh, and you’ll get paid for your efforts. It’s a lot more work than stocking items at a convenience store, but the rewards here are far better.

Not only will you help to produce a better paper, but you’ll develop skills and improve your resume. While some of our former staff members have gone on to TIME magazine or The New York Times, others have gone on to careers unrelated to journalism — as lawyers, ad reps and creative directors, just to name a few.

So stop by our office this summer or in the fall once you’re moved in and are comfortable. We love talking to people.

Have a great rest of your summer, and an amazing time in college.

Hail to Pitt!

Amy Friedenberger

Editor in Chief