Pitt recognized for its sustainability efforts

By Pat McAteer

Pitt’s reputation as an environmentally friendly campus continues to grow as surely as one of… Pitt’s reputation as an environmentally friendly campus continues to grow as surely as one of the school’s new rooftop gardens.

In its “Guide to Green Colleges,” The Princeton Review, a publication that provides overviews of colleges across the nation, awarded Pitt’s Oakland campus a 92 out of a possible 100 points. The publication recognized Pitt’s “notable commitment to sustainability in … academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities and career preparation.”

In its quest to be more “green,” Pitt’s administration has mandated that all new campus buildings and renovations incorporate sustainable features into their design.

Laura Zullo, senior manager of capital and special projects with Pitt’s Facilities Management Division, said in an email that all new projects include energy-saving control strategies, such as occupancy sensors that control lighting in campus buildings.

In addition, Zullo said the University has placed an emphasis on the recycling of materials used in construction and demolition. She added that Pitt recycled 95 percent of waste from the addition placed on Chevron Hall and 75 percent from the renovations to Benedum Hall.

Zullo also said that Pitt has three Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design gold certified buildings — the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, the Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation and Benedum Hall’s renovation. The LEED certification rates a building based on sustainability, energy efficiency and green construction.

Although Pitt has made great strides in sustainable construction, Zullo said the work is only beginning.

“Ten additional projects are pursuing LEED certification, and even projects that don’t pursue this certification incorporate sustainable design,” Zullo said. “Sustainable construction is a standard practice at Pitt.”

Along with sustainable construction on campus, The Princeton Review also recognized Pitt for its campus greenery and dedication to environmental education.

Gena Kovalcik, co-director of the Swanson School of Engineering’s Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation, said the department worked to educate students on sustainability.

“We’re working to find ways to positively impact the environment and quality of life as well as educate students on sustainability,” Kovalcik said.

Kovalcik said one of the newest programs underwritten by Mascaro was a “sustainability scavenger hunt” during PittStart sessions throughout the summer, where new students search out sustainable models on campus.

Student Government Board Member Julie Hallinan, an environmental committee liaison, added that the group was working with Sodexo to compost used coffee beans from coffee carts across campus.

She said they planned to grow mushrooms in the compost, which Sodexo could use while cooking.

“With the mushrooms, they’re going to sell them back to Market Central from what we compost from different coffee carts,” Hallinan said.

Hallinan also said the environmental committee met with Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey to build a “power flower.” She said this technology could power laptops through solar energy during the day and night for students who choose to use their laptops outdoors.

SGB member Gordon Louderback, the Board’s liaison to the environmental committee, said Pitt’s Green Fund has an annual budget of $5,000, which is provided by the Student Government Board from the Student Activity Fund, to undertake sustainable projects. He added that an example of this includes the “hydration stations” which are located in the William Pitt Union and Hillman Library.

Louderback also said the committee is working to cut down waste emitted by the University.

“We work with the administration to get rid of all plastic bags and Sodexo waste,” Louderback said. “We’re looking to make the campus more sustainable in the long run.”