Column: Chryst the right man to lead Pitt football

By Pat McAteer

The season doesn’t start for three months, but it’s hard to ignore the impact new head… The season doesn’t start for three months, but it’s hard to ignore the impact new head football coach Paul Chryst has had on the program since his hiring in January.

After last year’s 6-7 debacle under a head coach who won’t be named in this column, Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson finally made an investment in the future by hiring Chryst, who was Wisconsin’s popular offensive coordinator.

For those of you who haven’t paid attention to Pitt athletics over the last two years, Pitt has hired three head coaches since Dave Wannstedt’s resignation under pressure in late 2010. Shortly after Wannstedt’s departure, Pitt hired former Miami University (Ohio) coach Mike Haywood, who was subsequently dismissed after he was arrested on charges of domestic abuse in South Bend, Ind.

Reeling from Haywood’s alleged personal disaster, Pitt hired the coach who was mentioned in the second paragraph. Despite his arriving in Pittsburgh to massive fanfare and a marketing campaign based around his mantra of “high-octane football,” the Panthers never fully adapted to the coach’s spread offense and struggled their way to a 6-7 record.

Then, days before the Panthers were scheduled to play in the BBVA Compass Bowl, the coach announced that he was accepting the head coaching position at Arizona State, citing family reasons and employing much of the same rhetoric he spewed when he first arrived at Pitt.

Facing a drastic drop in season ticket sales, Pitt then hired Chryst, who had dazzled the Big Ten conference with his high-powered pro-style offenses.

Coming to Pitt, Chryst faced a daunting task on and off the field. Not only was he forced to mend an offense that finished 83rd in the nation in points scored but was also challenged with repairing relationships with players and recruits who might have had a pessimistic view of Pitt after the aforementioned coaching carousel.

Thus far, he’s scoring high marks in both areas.

Like most newly hired head coaches, Chryst entered spring camp with the goal of instilling his identity into his new team. During his tenure at Wisconsin, Chryst was known for his reliance on the running game. In 2010, Wiconsin running backs Montee Ball, James White and John Clay ran for a combined 3,060 yards to lead Division I college football.

In the first spring camp under Chryst, sophomore running back Isaac Bennett emerged as a potential star for the Panthers, running for 121 yards on 23 carries in the team’s spring game. Bennett; reigning First Team All-Big East senior running back Ray Graham, who rushed for 958 yards last season before tearing his ACL against Connecticut, and hyped incoming freshman Rushel Shell will form an extremely formidable rushing attack for Pitt next season.

Of course, even the most talented running back can’t succeed without a competent offensive line. Luckily, former Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach Jim Hueber joined Chryst at Pitt after 40 years of coaching offensive lines in the NFL and college ranks. Under his tutelage, the Vikings produced three Pro Bowl offensive linemen, who led the way as running back Adrian Peterson rushed for a franchise-record 1,760 yards in 2008.

But Hueber’s biggest challenge as a coach will be improving the line’s pass blocking.

Last season, Pitt finished first in the NCAA in sacks allowed with 64, and this lack of protection affected Pitt quarterback Tino Sunseri, who struggled for much of his junior campaign. If Chryst and Hueber find a cure to the offensive line’s woes and allow Sunseri — who was recently announced as next season’s starting quarterback — to manage the game, the offense should be just good enough when paired with the Panthers’ solid defense to lead Pitt to a winning season.

Although it’s difficult to judge Pitt on the field right now, Chryst’s work on the recruiting trail has already received praise from prospects. Chryst’s relaxed personality helped the new coach secure a respectable recruiting class last February that included five four-star players, and he has already received five commitments for next year’s class.

Sure, Pitt hasn’t won a national championship since 1976, and the last time the Panthers played in a BCS Bowl, they had their clocks cleaned by Utah and quarterback Alex Smith in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl. This is a program, however, with massive potential and a lot to be proud of ­— which is what Chryst has reportedly been focusing on when meeting with recruits.

By taking a patient approach to recruiting, Chryst allows potential future Panthers to acquaint themselves with the University and the neighborhood of Oakland. Obviously, Pitt’s greatest assets are its academics and campus life, so it’s a no-brainer that Chryst has decided to emphasize this in the recruiting process.

This type of patience should also be displayed by Pitt fans when it comes to Chryst next season.

While Pitt has talent at certain positions, the team lacks depth, especially along the offensive and defensive lines. Building a program takes time, as anyone who has watched Pitt basketball’s rise to prominence can attest.

But just remember this, Pitt fans: With Paul Chryst leading the way, the future of Pitt football is bright.