Softball: Pitt winning streak ends at five games

By RJ Sepich

The Pitt softball team’s winning streak ended at five games this weekend, but the Panthers did… The Pitt softball team’s winning streak ended at five games this weekend, but the Panthers did not come home empty-handed.

Despite losing two tight contests, Coach Holly Aprile’s Panthers (23-19, 6-8 Big East) avoided being swept in a crucial Big East series at DePaul (25-13, 7-2 Big East) thanks to a combined four home runs from freshman Maggie Sevilla and senior Holly Stevens.

However, the weekend could have been much more successful for the Panthers if they had managed to score more runs in crucial situations.

DePaul 2 Pitt 1

The Blue Demons needed extra innings to end Pitt’s winning streak in Saturday’s series opener.

Outfielder Katelyn Braget’s single scored the winning run for DePaul in the first extra inning after Pitt had tied the game in the seventh thanks to a single from senior Kelly Hmiel that scored fellow senior Niki Cognigni.

However, Pitt had several previous opportunities to win the game.

The Panthers threatened to score in almost every inning, but they spread out their nine hits and could not come up with the clutch hits needed to score what would have been vital runs.

Pitt batters finished just 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.

With the offense stuttering, freshman pitcher Savannah King did well to keep the Panthers in the game. She pitched all eight innings for Pitt and finished with seven strikeouts.

Pitt 6 DePaul 3

The Panthers tied the series at 1-1 after four home runs helped Pitt pick up the victory in game two of Saturday’s doubleheader.

Sevilla and Stevens both smacked solo home runs to give the Panthers a 2-0 lead in the third inning, and they repeated the feat with a pair of two-run long balls in the fifth and seventh innings, respectively.

It was Pitt’s second time in less than a week hitting four home runs in the same game.

On Wednesday afternoon, Hmiel, senior Kristen Cheesebrew and freshmen Carly Thea and Carissa Throckmorton all went deep for the Panthers in a dominating 11-0 victory over Georgetown.

After nearly throwing a no-hitter in her previous outing against Georgetown, Pitt freshman pitcher Alexa Larkin also performed strongly as she held the Blue Demons off the scoreboard for over five innings to help her team even the series.

DePaul 1 Pitt 0

The Blue Demons won the three-game set against Pitt after a solitary run proved to be the difference in Sunday’s series finale.

King, who failed in her second attempt to break the Pitt record for wins in a season, conceded the run in the fourth inning. Her record on the season fell to 16-12.

Once again, she did not get much help from the Panthers’ hitters.

DePaul sophomore pitcher Kirsten Verdun limited the Pitt offense to just three hits and struck out 10 Panthers as she improved her record to 17-6 on the season.

Looking to start another winning streak, Pitt will now play a doubleheader at Syracuse on Wednesday in another difficult road challenge before returning home to face Connecticut in a three-game series this weekend at the Petersen Sports Complex.