Five worthwhile documentaries intrigue viewers

By Pat McAteer

This second installment of a two-part series consists of the last five films on a list of… This second installment of a two-part series consists of the last five films on a list of worthwhile documentaries that will intrigue viewers on a variety of subjects. Look at part 1 for the first five. Unlike many other documentaries, these picks will not leave viewers disappointed.

The list continues last week’s “Avoid bad documentaries, take this advice and be entertained.”

5. “No Direction Home: Bob Dylan”

Bob Dylan is not an artist who sold out for the approval of his fans.

In “No Direction Home,” director Martin Scorsese examines how fans perceived this to be the case between 1961 and 1966, the formative years of Dylan’s career. Scorsese shows Dylan’s journey from the small town of Hibbing, Minn., to Greenwich Village in New York City, the thriving scene of 1960s folk music.

Aided by footage of some of Dylan’s most rousing musical performances, the film journeys not only through Dylan’s career, but also through the evolution of popular music. The audience witnesses an entertaining recap of Dylan’s life with revealing musical clips that document this famed artist’s career.

4. “For The Bible Tells Me So”

The most culturally-relevant film on the list, “For the Bible Tells Me So” examines the ongoing struggle between the gay rights movement and organized religion. The film follows several homosexual people with conservative religious families who face the challenge of revealing their secrets to their parents.

The documentary depicts the reactions of and subsequent acceptance from the families. While the movie’s plot presents a captivating storyline all around, the path toward acceptance might be its most enthralling element. Without even vocalizing the issue, it’s clear that the parents face a difficult conflict between blood and their faith.

“For the Bible Tells Me So” has a relatable quality that viewers can appreciate, regardless of their beliefs.

3. “Freakonomics”

“Freakonomics,” an adaptation of the 2005 nonfiction book of the same name, succeeds in doing what few professors have done: make economics interesting and understandable for non-economics majors.

The film examines four different concepts and presents them in a straightforward manner. Beginning with the segment “It’s Not Always a Wonderful Life,” University of Chicago economist Steven Levitt depicts the argument that the drop in the crime rate in the 1990s can be attributed to the decision made in Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion. Levitt argues that by reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies, abortion unintentionally kept criminals off the street.

“Freakonomics” includes more than just that and relates interestingly to society. In essence, the film takes economics to a personal and familiar level, making  for a user-friendly documentary.

2. “7 Days in September”

Most Pitt students have a memory of the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. But few can claim to have experienced it as vividly as the seven videographers from “7 Days in September.”

The film features footage from the perspective of seven different amateur filmmakers who lived in New York City at the time of the destruction of the World Trade Center and the days following. Most of the content featured in the documentary is absolutely chilling: close-up footage of the plane hitting Tower 2, workers jumping out the windows of burning buildings and the smoke that encompassed New York City after the collapse of the World Trade Center.

“7 Days in September” is a visual reminder of 9/11 and demonstrates the intense locality of the event.

1. “After Innocence”

Unlike the popular fiction film “The Shawshank Redemption,” the documentary “After Innocence” follows the true stories of seven former prisoners who were released from their holding once DNA evidence was considered in their cases.

While the film shows their happy release, the former prisoners then find themselves mired in a situation in which they possess no marketable skills and little support from the state or federal government. Along with the exonerated individuals, the film also documents the work of various groups that assist these men, including the Innocence Project, a group of pro bono lawyers who represent wrongfully convicted individuals in trial. The group claimed that it had received more than 100,000 letters from imprisoned individuals.

If nothing else, the documentary provides a compelling argument for the ending of capital punishment in the United States and emotionally compelling biographies of seven men who faced unjust punishment.