Pitt names new dean for School of Law

By Gwenn Barney

After a year-long search, Temple University Law School professor William M. Carter, Jr. will… After a year-long search, Temple University Law School professor William M. Carter, Jr. will take over as the new dean for Pitt’s School of Law.

Carter specializes in the areas of constitutional law, political and civil rights, civil procedure and litigation. Prior to this appointment, Carter held professorial positions at the Temple University Beasley School of Law and Case Western Reserve University School of Law. According to Wednesday’s announcement, his deanship at Pitt will be effective July 1.

“Professor Carter’s vision for the School of Law is well matched to our overall vision for the University,” Patricia Beeson, Pitt’s provost and senior vice chancellor, said in a press release. “He is committed to building the school in ways that will further enhance the scholarly contributions of our faculty, enable our students to be successful in their legal careers and engage the legal profession both locally and nationally.”

Carter is especially well-known for his work in relation to the Thirteenth Amendment. He has written articles that have been published in the Columbia Law Review, the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, the International Journal of Constitutional Law, and the UCLA Law Review.

Carter earned his bachelor’s degree at Bowling Green State University and his law degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he was associate editor of the Case Western Reserve University Law Review.

He takes over the mantle of Pitt School of Law dean from Mary Crossley, who is stepping down from the deanship after eight years in that position. Crossley will continue to teach as a professor in Pitt’s School of Law.