A Grain of Saul: Manning changes horses, Tebow headed out

By Isaac Saul

See you later, Tim Tebow, the Denver Broncos just found their new starting quarterback.

After… See you later, Tim Tebow, the Denver Broncos just found their new starting quarterback.

After nearly two weeks of negotiations, visits, speculation, workouts, physicals and rumors, Peyton Manning decided to stay loyal to the horses, but swapped the Colts for the Broncos.

The move leaves a ripple effect that will be felt throughout the NFL. Manning, who is the most valued free agent since the free agency era began in 1993, brings Hall of Fame talent and Super Bowl experience to a team that made it to the playoffs (and won a game) with an underdeveloped fullback under center last season.

Even though Tebowmania ran wild in 2011, Broncos head coach John Fox and owner John Elway’s decision to bring in Manning speaks volumes about Manning’s ability, as well as Tebow’s inability.

This story is just as much about the certain exit of Tebow as it is about the entrance of one of the NFL’s greats.

On the field, Tebow and Manning are pretty much polar opposites.

Tebow is a bruiser, strong with his legs and inaccurate with his arm. Manning is the opposite, about as immobile as they come, but with throwing accuracy frightening enough to make a sniper proud.

Last season, the Broncos had to limit their playbook to keep Tebow comfortable. They ran options and quarterback keepers, simple routes and looked for the big play. Manning probably knows more about the Denver playbook than coach Fox, and he’s only been there for a few hours.

Manning is respected, his talents unquestioned. Tebow is speculated upon, his abilities always in question. Manning brings age and experience. Tebow brings youth and excitement. Manning was born in Louisiana to a family of football players. Tebow was born in the Phillippines to a pair of Baptist missionaries.

Two different players, two different styles, two different stories and one obvious decision: Peyton Manning.

The reaction from Denver will be interesting. This is a town that put up billboards to have Tebow brought in as the starting quarterback. Jersey and ticket sales skyrocketed when he stepped on the field. His late-game magic was always doubted, but somehow got him through the first round of the playoffs. He was, in a word, heroic.

But common sense would say Manning was the obvious choice. How could you turn down a sure Hall of Famer? Manning is notorious for having an unmatched competitive drive. He is always in the film room the longest, always in the gym the latest, always working to outthink his own coaches. And now, a year after a neck injury sidelined him for all of last season, he has something to prove. If I were on the Broncos’ schedule this year, I wouldn’t be looking forward to facing him.

In terms of the advantages for Manning, they’re pretty obvious.

Compared to the other two teams courting him (San Francisco and Tennessee), Denver has the most cap room. Regardless of how good he is, Manning will need someone to throw to in 2012. The 49ers’ wide receivers are above average at best and Tennessee’s wide receivers are —wait, who are its receivers again?

Denver gets 250 days of sunshine. In San Francisco, Manning would have to face his brother, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, in the playoffs. From Denver, they could finally make their dream of seeing each other in the Super Bowl come true. Tennessee’s defense is soft as butter, while Denver’s defense made Tebow look like an above average quarterback.

Denver boasts a coach who is a ten-year veteran. San Francisco has a new — albeit successful — Harbaugh brother, while Tennessee has a guy named Mike Munchak coming off his first season at the helm.

Elway won two Super Bowls in Denver, one at 37 and the other at 38. Manning is 35. What do you think they talked about during contract negotiations?

Above all, Manning wants to get back to the playoffs. What division is easier than the AFC West? The Chargers are notorious underachievers, the Raiders haven’t been relevant since Destiny’s Child was at the top of the billboards and the Chiefs are the laughingstock of the division.

Despite that, I’ve still heard all the questions and doubts about this being the right fit.

Manning will first have to seduce Denver fans away from Tebow. Then, he’ll have to fix his neck, regain strength in his throwing arm, find someone to throw to, learn a new system, find a new number (No. 18 is retired in Denver) and adjust to the altitude at Mile High Stadium.

But we’re talking about Peyton Manning. You remember, don’t you?

He has a league-record four Most Valuable Player awards, he’s an 11-time Pro Bowler, a Super Bowl Champion, has 11 4,000-yard passing seasons (including a record six straight), the fastest quarterback to 50,000 passing yards, the fastest to 4,000 completions and is the Indianapolis Colts’ all-time leader in passing yards (54,828) and touchdowns (399).

Any other questions?