Pitt African Student Organization holds annual Wazobia Cultural Extravaganza

By Parthena Moisiadis

On Friday night, about 20 male Pitt students strutted down the stage in the Bellefield Hall… On Friday night, about 20 male Pitt students strutted down the stage in the Bellefield Hall auditorium sporting clothing from Goodwill. They walked single-file under the bright white lights to the edge of the stage, where their poses were met with audience cheers.

The student-run fashion show, which showcased designs created from Goodwill clothing by Pitt graduate student, Ikechukwu Onyewuenyi, was just one of the many events featured at the African Student Organization’s fifth annual Wazobia Cultural Extravaganza.

About 700 people gathered in the Bellefield auditorium for two and a half hours of African dance, food, music, poetry and acting.

ASO president Onaopemipo Dina said the cultural extravaganza is ASO’s biggest event of the year, and its aim is to promote the performing arts from the continent of Africa.

“The event will educate people about Africa, which is a group of different countries, not just one country. It’s a continent,” she said.

Sponsored by Student Government Board, the event was free for Pitt students and cost $5 for non-students.

Proceeds from the event went to ASO’s charity, EDUganda, which supports an elementary school in Uganda. Dina didn’t know yet how much the extravaganza raised, but before the event, ASO had raised more than $1,000 over the course of the school year.

The program began with a performance from the Ya’baso dance team, an African dance team at Pitt. Dancers leapt across the stage in bare feet, moving their bodies to the beats of African drums.

The audience maintained a high energy level as the evening continued with drum performances and various fashion shows that included African-inspired designs by Kachi Designs, Editalo Designs and Kreatif Designs.

Other scenes included French poetry recited by Pitt student Mahamadou Bikienga, a student-directed silent play, a video about African stereotypes and a rap performed by freshman Ihinosen ‘E’ Dibua.

Freshman Amira Soubiane said that the cultural extravaganza holds special significance for those with African ancestry.

She offered an African term for the concept, “Sankofa.”

“It’s about going back to your roots. You have to know where you’re from to know where you want to go,” Soubiane said.

Although most members of ASO have African roots, the chair of the Wazobia committee, Uchechukwu Ezeonyebuchi, said that it is important that those without African ancestry are educated about the continent and its many cultures.

Ezeonyebuchi said that not only has audience attendance increased over the years, but that diversity within the audience has also grown.

“African music is hot and popular. It’s not just drums and bells,” she said.

Dina agrees that the educational component to the show is important.

“Africa is normally looked at as a place where people don’t have the ability to perform art,” she said.