WPTS contends for top college radio station in mtvU contest

By Jeff Ihaza

Pitt radio station WPTS-FM has topped the charts by playing off-the-chart music.

The indie,… Pitt radio station WPTS-FM has topped the charts by playing off-the-chart music.

The indie, student-run station is one of 10 college radio station finalists vying for the College Radio Woodie award, presented by mtvU. Though Pitt had cracked the Top 25 in the past, this is the first time Pitt could actually bring home the wooden trophy. The award’s winner will be announced at 8 p.m. tonight.

Last year, Pitt made it to the semifinals before getting cut. But after a year of revamping the programming and upping student involvement, the station could bring home the bark.

“We’ve been nominated before,” said station manager Nate Hanson. “But this year, since we’ve been trying so many new things, it definitely feels as if more is at stake.”

The station, available at 92.1 FM, has implemented extensive innovations, thanks in part to the staff of about 100 people who’ve generated new ideas for programming. One new addition is increased web content, such as podcasts and interactive content, added in an effort to develop a multi-platform approach. The station has also amped up its campus presence, establishing connections with The Pitt News and the Student Government Board.

“Probably our greatest strength this year is how we’ve fostered relationships on campus,” said Dan Scullin, WPTS programming director.

The Woodie award honors pioneering college radio stations that broadcast the latest in indie and emerging music. The top stations were chosen based on reviews and nominations gathered through Twitter hashtags, Rate My Professor, and nods from the CMJ College Radio acknowledgements and the Princeton Review. Fans could then vote on mtvU’s website for the winner.

“The Woodies are ultimately decided by voters, and our listeners definitely appreciate a lot of the new ideas we’ve had,” Scullin said.