Pitt student-band Too Young to open for Cobra Starship

By Joe Chilson

New band Too Young got their big break on Thursday night when they took first place at Pitt’s… New band Too Young got their big break on Thursday night when they took first place at Pitt’s annual Battle of the Bands.

Too Young beat out 15 bands at the competition hosted by Pitt Program Council last Friday. Though Battle of the Bands was only the fourth gig that Too Young has performed at, they will be quickly thrust into the spotlight, opening for Cobra Starship and Twenty One Pilots at this year’s Bigelow Bash on April 15.

The event began at 10 p.m. in the William Pitt Union Assembly Room and wrapped up around 12:30 a.m.

Alana Miller, a member of Pitt Program Council and the event’s organizer, said in an email that more than 250 students attended the event.

“It feels great and we’re all pretty excited,” said sophomore Eric Matthew Silverman, singer and guitarist for Too Young.

The band’s other three member are all Pitt students and include brothers Tim Crammond, who plays guitar, and Jay Crammond, who plays drums, as well as bassist Richard Fontanese, whom the band refers to as “Steamboat.”

Silverman said that Too Young’s sound comes from music he writes and records at home that he brings to the band. The other members then put their own touch on it, giving it a rock-and-roll edge.

Silverman said he was impressed with this year’s Battle of the Bands event because it was better promoted than in years past.

“There were a lot of people in the audience this year, it was very well done,” Silverman said.

Miller agreed saying that “the event went very smoothly,” and called it “extremely successful.”