Pitt students plan to ditch the swimsuits, volunteer over spring break

By Parthena Moisiadis

Rachel Balog spent her sophomore year Spring Break working on two homes in New… Rachel Balog spent her sophomore year Spring Break working on two homes in New Jersey.

“Waking up at 6 a.m. to start the day and not getting home until 5 p.m. was rough,” the senior accounting and communications major said. “I’d never been involved in building things. We even had to do a lot of calculations ourselves.”

For four days, she and 11 of her peers helped Habitat for Humanity finish drywalling the Garden State homes for families that could not afford to pay for the services.

“The homeowners were so happy to see it all coming together,” she said.

In two weeks, 69 students will travel to four locations across the country to volunteer over their Spring Breaks like Balog did as part of Pitt’s Alternative Break program — service trips organized annually through the University’s Student Volunteer Outreach.

“It wasn’t hard to give up Spring Break. I wouldn’t be doing anything anyway. It was a nice opportunity to give back instead of sitting at home and wasting time,” she said.

This year, students can choose between four locations, each offering a different community group with which to connect and volunteer: Habitat for Humanity in Delaware, Camp Sequanota in Pennsylvania, Youth Service Opportunities Project in Washington, D.C., and Cumberland Trail in Tennessee. The trips’ costs vary from $200 to $450.

While a majority of the spots have been taken, four openings are still available for the trip to Wilmington, Del., and one slot is open for the Tennessee trip. Students can sign up for an Alternative Break trip by logging on to SVO’s website.

“While Student Volunteer Outreach offers other options for students to volunteer time throughout the year, Alternative Spring Break is the only volunteer project that involves travel and a seven-day service experience,” said Cathleen Connor, project coordinator at SVO.

Chris Schei, a volunteer coordinator with Habitat for Humanity in Delaware, said that Pitt students will help build 21 new homes in the area under trained supervision.

“They’re going to be installing flooring, painting the homes, putting up siding and helping with landscaping,” he said.

Students going to Soddy-Daisy, Tenn., will also encounter physical work when they clear and extend the Cumberland Trail, a 175-mile-long hiking trail. Pitt students have volunteered at the trail for the past 16 years, clearing about one mile each year.

In Washington, D.C., workers will remain indoors with volunteer opportunities at a variety of sites including soup kitchens, drop-in shelters and homeless prevention sites.

“The service is physical, mental and emotional,” said Shawn Sendar, a YSOP staff member. “The big emphasis at YSOP is to talk to clients. It’s not just preparing meals, but the interaction [with clients] as well,” she said.

Students traveling to Camp Sequanota in Jennerstown, Pa., will be involved in both trail building and volunteering at the local food bank.

Out of the five non-traveling days, students will spend four working with their sponsoring agency and one exploring the local area.

Balog said that the day off — when her group toured Philadelphia — was crucial to her Alternative Break experience.

“Your body is not used to the physical labor. You’re ready to relax,” she said.

Balog encourages all students to apply to an Alternative Break trip.

“Everyone should try it at least once. It’s so rewarding when you see the progress you made. You just helped someone become a homeowner or built a trail that thousands of people will walk on,” she said.

Schei shared a similar sentiment about the benefits that come from volunteering over Spring Break.

“You’re not wearing a swimsuit, but you’re also not shoveling every day and at every minute,” he said.

Service Sites, March 4-10, 2012:

Cumberland Trail — Soddy-Daisy, Tenn. — $335. One spot remaining.

Camp Sequanota — Jennerstown, Pa. — $200. Sold Out.

Youth Service Opportunities Project — Washington, D.C. — $450. Sold Out.

Habitat for Humanity — Wilmington, Del. — $370. Four spots remaining.