Bombs away: Enjoy depth charges from around the world

By Patrick Wagner

A “depth charge” might not sound all that appetizing, but when this drink combination is… A “depth charge” might not sound all that appetizing, but when this drink combination is called by its more common name of “bomb,” it has fans the world over.

The cocktail-like combinations begin with dropping something small into something larger. The mixture is then consumed immediately to ensure the flavors don’t mingle un-deliciously.

In every case, drink makers should be sure to use glasses big enough to have a shot dropped into them without putting half the drink on the counter. Also, drinkers should keep track of shot glasses, lest a rogue or forgotten glass chip a tooth.

Here are a few classics to get you started. Make sure to drink responsibly.

Bombs away!

The United States

Boilermaker Depth Charge

• 12 ounces Light American beer

• 1 1/2 ounces American — or

Canadian, I won’t tell — whiskey

Drop the shot in the frothy brew and consume the patriotism immediately.

Japan

Sake Bomb

• 1 1/2 ounces Warm sake

(Japanese rice wine)

• 12 ounces Sapporo, or another Japanese beer

• Chopsticks

Best performed with friends, the ritual dictates that you chant, “Sake, sake, sake,” loudly before pounding on the table and allowing the chopstick-suspended shot glass above your cup to drop into the beer below. The temperature mixture of the cold beer and warm sake allows the drink to go down smoothly and without any associated brain freeze.

Central Europe

Jägerbomb

• 1/2 can Red Bull

• 1 1/2 ounces Jägermeister

The German Jägermeister and Swiss-produced Red Bull make for a popular combination. Drop the black licorice-flavored shot in the hyperbolically sweet Red Bull and drink immediately.

Ireland

Emerald Isle

(You might know this drink by the term “Irish Car Bomb,” which is offensive to the Irish.)

• 12 ounces Stout beer

• 3/4 ounce Irish cream

• 3/4 ounce Irish whiskey

After mixing equal parts Irish cream and whiskey in a shot glass, drop the combination into a glass of stout and drink immediately for a chocolate-milk-like concoction.

Mexico

Tequila Popper

•1/2 ounce Tequila

• 1/2 ounce Lemon-lime soda

This isn’t a bomb, but it’s something close. After combining the ingredients in a shot glass, cover it with your hand or a coaster and gently hit it on a flat surface — carefully now. It should generously fizz.