Like its protagonists, ‘Project X’ tries too hard to get attention

By Anna Weldon

Roof diving and a gnome full of ecstasy only begin to describe the events that unfold in “Project X.” … “Project X”

Starring: Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper and Jonathan Daniel Brown

Directed by Nima Nourizadeh

Grade: B

Roof diving and a gnome full of ecstasy only begin to describe the events that unfold in “Project X.”

Director Nima Nourizadeh’s film debut and party movie, “Project X,” is the quintessential example of what happens when a movie pushes every boundary in an attempt to create something shocking — and it tries way too hard.

High school seniors Thomas, Costa and JB live in a cloud of unwanted anonymity. They decide to throw a party they call “Project X” to boost their popularity on their high school campus, using Thomas’ birthday as an excuse. They plan on transforming into “large-scale ballers” by the end of the night, not expecting the insanity that will ensue.

Dax, the group’s fourth and virtually unknown member, films the entire event. He follows the three boys from start to finish as they wreak havoc on the community, causing anarchy in the suburban Pasadena neighborhood.

The party begins as most do: dead, with too much liquor and not enough people. But as the night continues, more students, strangers and even parents flock to Thomas’ house to celebrate his birthday, creating a string of events that quickly spiral out of control.

As the evening progresses, the three losers turn into amateur rock stars. They shotgun beer, have a naked pool party and roll on stolen ecstasy, and each of the previously unknown students fulfills his goal of hooking up with at least one girl each.

Unlike most high school and even college parties, the night ends in complete destruction. The horrifyingly dramatic explosion of the night takes away from any sort of realistic material “Project X” may have.

The creators of “Project X” clearly sought a reaction from the ridiculous material that was featured in the movie, and a reaction is what they received. Audience members laughed relentlessly amidst gasps of shock and disbelief from the outrageous stunts and scenes.

But the obscene behavior is not necessarily humorous. Overwrought at times with unclear and inexplicable situations, “Project X” seemed forced. It’s as if after the writers finished the script, they returned and added written steroids to every believable moment.

A cracked-out mash between “The Hangover” and “Superbad,” “Project X” has all of the insanity of “The Hangover” without the witty script of “Superbad.” There are no quick jabs or cultural references that could turn this mindless, teenage drinking movie into something more entertaining.

“Project X” crosses into unrealistic territory with its plot and transforms the funny moments into something disturbing. In order to give audiences some sort of Hollywood normalcy, the writers include a trite drama between Thomas, the birthday boy, and the girl next door.

It does have an exceptional soundtrack, and though no one would desire the final result of the party, viewers might want to download the music that accompanie d it. Well-placed at climactic moments, the music fueled the movie.

It’s not the best representation of a high school party,  but “Project X” does offer its audience one benefit: It will  leave its viewers in search of a wild night.