Occupy Pittsburgh no longer occupying

By Pat McAteer

Amid a village of mud-covered tents, broken furniture and wooden sidewalk lived a group of… Amid a village of mud-covered tents, broken furniture and wooden sidewalk lived a group of people bound by a single message.

On Wednesday night, that message was silenced — if only temporarily.

Two days after the Monday eviction deadline issued by the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas that ordered the group to clear off BNY Mellon’s property, Occupy Pittsburgh peacefully left their encampment on Mellon Green Downtown.

About 30 remaining Occupiers and their supporters held a rally at Mellon Green to mark their move out. The rally was followed by a final march through downtown Pittsburgh — leaving the tents behind.

The Occupy Pittsburgh movement, which began on Oct. 15, formed as a branch of Occupy Wall Street in protest of a multitude of issues, including corporate greed and an economic system in the United States that members of the movement feel perpetuates inequality.

As members of the press converged on the group’s dilapidated settlement, members of the Occupy movement reflected on their experiences.

Don Carpenter, a member of the movement who’s been involved since the original march, vowed during the press conference that the group’s message would live on.

“When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, it’s your job to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of life and say, ‘No, you move,’” Carpenter said, quoting author Mark Twain.

Carpenter also reiterated the national message of the Occupy movement, and said that the group’s members assembled to resist and abolish the “political, social and economic” injustices faced by the community.

After Carpenter’s speech, other members of the Occupy movement gave their own testimonials. Some of the members chose to express their support of the movement through poetry. Others chose to rally the members using battle cries of the movement.

While members of the press surveyed the Occupy camp, leaders of the movement yelled, “Out of the camp, into the streets,” and the protesters flooded onto Grant Street, blocking off the path for motorists.

Continuing down the street, leaders of the movement chimed in with the rally cry of the nationwide Occupy movement, shouting, “We are the 99 percent,” as angry motorists relentlessly honked at the group.

After the marchers turned onto Boulevard of the Allies, city police vehicles surrounded the group, ordering members to stay on the sidewalks. At the beginning, some members defiantly remained in the streets, but they soon relented as other marchers ushered them back onto the sidewalk.

As the group passed Point Park University, students cried out from their dorm room balconies, echoing the chants of the group below. Gaining members as they passed by the university, the group proceeded toward PPG Place and then into Market Square, where it made its final stand, chanting in echoing fashion.

“Everywhere we go, people want to know, who we are, so we tell them. We are the people, the mighty, mighty people.”

Despite their departure from their original encampment, the Pittsburgh Occupiers said they plan to hold future rallies, including protests against transit cuts and in favor of universal health care.