Utilitarian Mason jars good for more than jam, think cooking and crafts

By Kirstin Kennedy

If Pinterest has taught us anything, it’s that using Mason jars to store jam is totally out of… If Pinterest has taught us anything, it’s that using Mason jars to store jam is totally out of fashion.

But seriously, it’s now en vogue to use Mason jars to create nifty and useful household items. It’s time to acknowledge that using these clear containers is the cool thing to do, and get innovative with them. Sizes vary, and you can usually buy packs of 12 for under $15, so it’s cheap too. Here is a list of things to try:

1. Decorative Mason Jar: This is a pretty basic usage — maybe you’ve even seen your mom do it. But for cheap decorating, Mason jars are ideal. Use the shells and sand from your favorite vacation spot to keep around during the cold months. Paint the outside, and store your pens and pencils. Think of Mason jars as a container with more personality.

2. Salad Jar Mason Jar: For days when you know you don’t have time to make it home for lunch or dinner and have had one too many soggy PB&Js, try this trick. Fill the bottom of the Mason jar with generous amount of salad dressing, then start layering the veggies and leave the greens to rest on top. When you are ready to eat, just dump out everything on to a plate and enjoy a fresh Mason jar salad.

3. Bathroom Accessory Mason Jar: Since Mason jars can be bought cheaply in bulk, consider displaying your bathroom products in these uniform containers instead of more expensive bathroom accessories. They’re especially great for holding makeup brushes and toothbrushes.

4. Cooking Mason Jar: If you are cooking for friends, try presenting the food in a Mason jar with a wide opening. For example, fill the jar with chili and rest a piece of cornbread on top. Or consider making nifty make-your-own-food gifts: Put the dry ingredients for cookies or cocoa in the jar and add a handy instruction tag.

5. Mason Jar Terrarium: Layer stones and soil at the bottom of the Mason jar and plant seeds for a grasslike plant. Water and keep the jar in moderate sunlight, and perhaps add some snails. This also works for growing herbs right in your kitchen — just don’t include the snails in this case.

6. Message Mason Jar: If you are planning a going-away or graduation party, the message Mason jar can act as a sign-in sheet for guests. Have everyone write a note on a scrap of paper that they put it in the jar. Afterward, you can carry their messages with you wherever you go. You can even decorate the interior with pictures to make a more personal memento.

7. Happy Candle Mason Jar: Fill the jar with sand or water and let a candle float inside. You can also decorate the top with some rustic-looking twine to add a little shabby-chic touch to your decoration.

8. Food Processing Mason Jar: If you unscrew a normal blender container from the blade and plastic bottom, you can screw a Mason jar on to create a small, convenient food processor. This means you can make dips, smoothies, etc., that you can eat or drink straight from the jar — just make sure you have the properly sized mouth on the jars.

9. Sun Tea Mason Jar: On a sunny day, fill a clear Mason jar with water and about four tea bags. Let it sit in the sun for three to five hours. The tea will diffuse and flavor the water. Any jar or clear pitcher will do — the real trick is finding five hours’ worth of sunshine in Pittsburgh.

10. Chalkboard Mason Jar: Secure a piece of chalkboard paper, which can be found at most hardware stores, around half of the Mason jar, then allow your friends to write their name on their Mason jar and serve delicious drinks out of them at parties. This keeps everyone’s cups in order and minimizes disposable cup usage.