Pitt students share reactions to Paterno’s death

By Megan Trimble

Pitt sophomore Andy Nauss received a call from his father Saturday night informing him that… Pitt sophomore Andy Nauss received a call from his father Saturday night informing him that former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno was in critical condition.

Sunday morning, Nauss saw an official announcement on ESPN SportsCenter that the Penn State icon, who was fired in the midst of controversy, had died.

Rumors of Paterno’s death flooded social media and news outlets throughout Saturday night, but it was not until the next morning that the Mount Nittany Medical Center issued a statement that Paterno, 85, had died Sunday at 9:25 a.m. of “metastatic small cell carcinoma of the lung.”

“I do believe that recent allegations have put a stain on his career and legacy,” Nauss said. “But for those that know Penn State and knew Paterno’s story, that stain is rather minuscule to his overarching legacy and policy for coaching during his tenure at Penn State.”

Paterno coached the Penn State Nittany Lions for 46 years from 1966 to 2011. Throughout his career, Paterno coached five undefeated teams and won two national championships and several major bowl games. In 2007, he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

His coaching career came to an end when Penn State University trustees fired him midseason because of his connection to former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

Police arrested Sandusky in November on charges related to child sex abuse. Half of the 40 counts against him happened while he worked under Paterno. After it was revealed that Paterno had knowledge of the events and failed to alert the proper authorities, Penn State’s Board of Trustees fired Paterno.

Students acknowledged that Paterno’s death did not come as much of a surprise, as many knew of his fight with lung cancer.

Junior Aaron Snider learned of Paterno’s death through a post on Facebook Sunday morning.

“My initial reaction was one of irony,” Snider said. “Pittsburgh sports announcer Mark Madden had predicted that the Sandusky allegations would kill Joe Paterno on his radio show. I guess he was right.”

Sophomore Kaitlin Shire also heard rumors of Paterno’s death from Facebook posts that she first noticed Saturday evening.

Shire, who has family members who graduated from Penn State and friends who are currently Nittany Lions, said that the announcement of Paterno’s death is particularly sad in light of the recent allegations.

“The last few months of his life were not very positive with the allegations, and I think that many people have a more negative image of the man,” Shire said.

News of Paterno’s death is expected to have a lasting effect on the Penn State campus and community.

“I think that his death will actually bring the Penn State campus and family together.” Shire said. “I have friends who have already joined support groups and formed their own groups on Facebook. All of the groups help to remember the man and the coach that Paterno really was.”

Groups like “Rest in Peace, Joe Paterno” and “R.I.P. Joe Paterno” have formed on the social media site, garnering more than 4,000 “likes.”

Penn State released a statement Sunday praising Paterno’s lasting impact on the University.

“Because of the way he led and taught Penn Staters, the world is such a better place, not just because of his direct influence, but because of the influence he had on so many who have graduated from Penn State to positively impact the world,” Dave Joyner, Penn State acting director of athletics, said in statement.

Snider agreed that Paterno’s death will have far-reaching effects.

“Football is one of the biggest things going for Penn State,” Snider said. “ They are not a bad school by any means, but I wouldn’t be surprised if their football dynasty is greatly affected by this shock. I expect the effects of his death to pour into other areas of the school as well.”

Pitt Athletics spokesman E.J. Borghetti said in a statement that Paterno had tremendous influence over college football.

“Joe Paterno’s impact on the game of college football was great, as was his influence on the countless number of players who called him ‘Coach.’ The University of Pittsburgh offers its heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones,” Borghetti said.