Waiver Wire Weekly: Backups step up on splintered rosters

Kansas+City+Chiefs+wide+receiver+Demarcus+Robinson+picks+up+a+first+down+before+being+stopped+by+Arizona+Cardinals+free+safety+Antoine+Bethea+in+the+first+quarter+on+Sunday%2C+Nov.+11%2C+2018+at+Arrowhead+Stadium+in+Kansas+City%2C+Missouri.+

John Sleezer, Kansas City Star | TNS

Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Demarcus Robinson picks up a first down before being stopped by Arizona Cardinals free safety Antoine Bethea in the first quarter on Sunday, Nov. 11, 2018 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri.

By Adin Link, Staff Writer

Hopefully, you heeded our advice last week and added some of our favorites like Jacoby Brissett, John Ross or Terry McLaurin. If not, don’t worry, you have a chance to redeem yourself. Waiver Wire Weekly is back for our second slate of players you should add for the coming week. 

*The %OWN statistic is based on ESPN standard leagues on Sept. 17.

Quarterbacks

Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers, *%OWN: 24.3%

After a hot start to the season for the 49ers, Jimmy Garoppolo is putting the league on notice. Garoppolo gashed a weak Bengals defense on Sunday, with 297 yards and three passing touchdowns, and is slated to face another one this week. Garoppolo and the 49ers are coming up against a Pittsburgh Steelers defense in Week 3 that has given up the sixth most points to quarterbacks in the NFL. The 49ers also possess plenty of pass-catching weapons in Dante Pettis, George Kittle and Marquise Goodwin.

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions, %OWN: 26.1%

Despite his feature last week, Stafford’s %OWN only went up 10%. Stafford had another solid week posting 245 passing yards with two touchdowns against a sturdy Chargers defense. Stafford will face a more favorable matchup next week against the Eagles, who are currently giving up the eighth most fantasy points to quarterbacks. The Lions certainly love passing the ball, and that can only bode well for Matthew Stafford against a weak Eagles secondary.

Touchdowns, yardage, catches and carries of select NFL players this week.

Running Backs

Raheem Mostert, San Francisco 49ers, %OWN: 11%

Tevin Coleman injury in Week 1 really opened the door for Raheem Mostert, who made the most of his increased opportunities in Week 2. Mostert split carries with the 49ers listed starter Matt Breida, getting 26 of 54 total carries on Sunday. But where Mostert separated himself was in the passing game, hauling in three receptions for 68 yards and a touchdown. With Tevin Coleman still nursing an ankle injury, Mostert will undoubtedly get a healthy workload in Week 3.

Frank Gore, Buffalo Bills, %OWN: 8.7%

Even at the ripe age of 36, Frank Gore is still chugging along, providing stability to Buffalo’s backfield. Gore took advantage of an awful New York Giants defense carrying 19 times for 68 yards including a short goal line touchdown. He finds himself on this list primarily because his fellow back in Buffalo, Devin Singletary, is nursing a hamstring injury sustained in Week 2. If Singletary’s injury keeps him sidelined in Week 3, Gore will absolutely be the beneficiary of more carries.

Wide Receivers 

DJ Chark, Jacksonville Jaguars, %OWN: 22.2%

The second-year Louisiana State University product has become the number one target in Jacksonville this season. After struggling in his rookie season, Chark has collected 201 yards and a pair of touchdowns combined in those two games. After starting quarterback Nick Foles suffered an injury in Week 1, Jacksonville has since turned to rookie Gardner Minshew, who has in turn made Chark his favorite target.

Demarcus Robinson, Kansas City Chiefs, %OWN: 1.1%

Posting a career day in Week 2, Demarcus Robinson is a must-add until Tyreek Hill can return to the Chiefs lineup. Many believed Patrick Mahomes would turn to rookie playmaker Mecole Hardman in Hill’s absence, but it was Robinson that assumed Hill’s role in the potent offense in Week 2. Robinson’s monster day included 172 receiving yards and two touchdowns. Expect Robinson to continue to produce in Hill’s absence.

Tight Ends

Will Dissly, Seattle Seahawks, %OWN: 2.2%

Dissly’s struggles in Week 1 can be attributed in large part to a knee injury he sustained before the season started. When finally fully healthy in Week 2, Dissly looked to be a top target in the Seattle offense, especially in the red zone. Dissly only had 50 yards receiving on the day, but he hauled in two touchdowns, which salvaged his fantasy value for the day. Since the Seahawks let Jimmy Graham walk in free agency, Dissly can become the red zone machine Seattle desires.

Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys, %OWN: 18.6%

No one was quite sure how Jason Witten would perform after a year off from football, but he’s absolutely silenced the doubters by hauling in touchdowns in each of his first two games back from retirement. It is now abundantly clear how Witten will be utilized — as a huge red zone threat for Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. Expect Witten to continue to be fed red zone and goal to go opportunities for the rest of the season.