Be Crafty: Make Your Own Clothes

By Liz Keeney

Shopping for clothes is hard. Although many claim shopping as a favorite pastime or a way to… Shopping for clothes is hard. Although many claim shopping as a favorite pastime or a way to relax, the actual process of finding well-made and flattering clothing can be very stressful. Be it the cost, the fit or a general dislike of what’s currently in trend, staying stylish is frustrating.

Enter a resolution: homemade clothing.

Trying to figure out how to buy a pattern seems complicated and maneuvering your way around a sewing machine can be downright daunting, but once you get into the swing of things, the process is simple. With home sewing, you’ll end up saving money, having clothes that are made to fit your body and bragging rights that are pretty cool too. Getting to say, “Oh, this old thing? I just made it last week, no big deal,” when asked where you bought your skirt is actually quite satisfying.

At one point, home sewing was de rigeur, mostly due to the lack of actual clothing stores. It has since became antiquated, relegated to tailors and costumers. But in the past few years, craft hobbies once believed to be old-fashioned have been making a comeback — people have again taken up sewing, knitting, crocheting and other similar pastimes.

When I was a little girl, my mother would often take on sewing projects to make a little extra cash, or “fun money” as she called it. She would make flags, curtains, upholstery for furniture, clothing for friends and dresses and costumes for my sister and me. In fact, I grew up thinking it was the norm to have a new, custom-made Halloween costume every year; I didn’t realize you could actually buy your costume until I was 10. My mother eventually parlayed her love of sewing into a job teaching Family and Consumer Sciences.

My early exposure to craftiness paid off when, in middle school, we were required to take FACS. The first thing I ever made was a drawstring bag, and it was awesome; I used that thing for years. Later, in high school, my love of sewing really took off, and I began to make my own clothes.

One of the toughest things about sewing is knowing where to start. I recommend starting small, learn a few hand stitches before heading out and investing in a sewing machine. While it might seem silly, knowing how to sew by hand will make you more comfortable working with fabric and will be handy in the future. Addie Eichman, who has taught FACS at Welsh Valley Middle School (along with my mother) for the past six years, stresses the importance of learning to sew.

“It teaches you independence, just to make repairs, sew on buttons,” she explained.

I also recommend taking classes. Craft stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby offer classes, as do many community centers and night schools. Eichman mentioned that some of her students come in with a knowledge of sewing from events they’ve attended at local craft stores.

Even without lessons, it’s easier than ever to pick up sewing with online video tutorials. A simple Youtube search will turn up dozens of videos showing you what to do.

A few general tips: When looking for the right sewing machine, make sure you do your research. Call different stores, read reviews online, and generally try to find a machine that is cost-effective and simple to use. Or try to find a used one — ask your mother or grandmother if she has an old machine she doesn’t use anymore. I use my mother’s 20-year-old machine, and it holds up pretty well.

If you’re not ready to commit to a machine, places like Cut & Sew Studio in East Liberty let you use their machines for a small fee.

Once you have your machine, buy a few notions — pins, thread, bobbins, etc. — to get yourself started.

Then it’s time to pick a pattern — the plan for what you’re going to sew. When you’re just starting out, I recommend picking a simple one. Eichman usually has her students start with pajama pants. Kathy Wendel, who works the sewing department of the Robinson Hobby Lobby, says one of the benefits to picking a simple pattern is that new clothing-makers can mess up without really damaging the piece.

“Beginners come in with patterns that are easy to start with, like curtains or something. And when they make a mistake, it’s easy to fix,” Wendel said.

When I first started sewing, I tried making a shirt that was way out of my league. In the end, it did nothing more than frustrate me — I never even finished the shirt. Instead, I made a simple shift dress that I wear to this day.

Picking a simple pattern also helps to ensure your piece doesn’t end up looking homemade. Some of the pieces you’ll see in pattern books are hilariously tacky, and the end product will clearly look like you made it yourself. Have a discerning eye. If you ever went shopping and thought, “This would be cute if only it didn’t have …” this is that “if only” moment.

Look at the basic silhouette of the pattern. Keep in mind that a lot of extras like bows and trim can be left off and that you get to choose your own fabric. Some of my favorite pieces — also the ones I get the most compliments on — are the items that are simple and don’t scream, “I made this in my basement.” The point is to get people to ask you where you got something, and then surprise them by saying you made it.

An important tip: Make sure to measure yourself before you look for a pattern and do this at home. You’ll need to measure your bust, waist and hips, and be honest with yourself. I know there’s a tendency when shopping to lie about sizing, but when you’re making your own clothes, it’s important to get the size right. As a warning, sizing in patterns tends to run small, so don’t be surprised when, if you’re normally a 6, you have to buy a size 8 or even 10 in a pattern. No one has to know.

Another important suggestion is to make sure to read directions thoroughly. Then read them again before you cut out your fabric. That way you can make adjustments to patterns beforehand, which will save you a lot of confusion later.

Take your time. If you want your piece to look good, you have to put in the effort.

“When we teach [sewing] in school, it’s a totally different experience. Generally it’s a lot of fun, once [the students] get the hang of it. It’s teaching kids discipline, to wait for a finished product,” Eichman explained.

Once you get the hang of sewing, try branching out. Look for vintage patterns online or in local fabric stores — for instance, Loom Exquisite Textiles in the Strip District. You can even collect pattern books. I recently purchased a book by design house Built By Wendy, and I love it.

Once you get really good, you might even be able to sell some of your designs. For the Pittsburgh native, Handmade Arcade is the perfect venue, or you could sell things online at Etsy.com.

Ultimately, sewing is one of my favorite hobbies. Not only do I get something new to wear out of it, but it’s an interesting way to develop your personal style. As Eichman says, “It’s fun, relaxing, and you get to be creative.”