Sometimes it is not what you know, but who you know

By Megan Trimble

Sophomore Jeff DeWalt spends his summers interning at Michael Baker Corporation, a leading… Sophomore Jeff DeWalt spends his summers interning at Michael Baker Corporation, a leading engineering firm based in Moon Township, Pa., with nothing more than a high school diploma and an in-progress college transcript.

DeWalt, a civil engineering major, has a connection to the company through his uncle and other family friends who serve as his personal contacts within the company.

“There are more qualified people [for the job] compared to me at this stage in my schooling, so contacts help a lot,” DeWalt said. “I wouldn’t have my job now if it wasn’t for personal contacts.”

The Michael Baker Corporation could not be reached for comment on their hiring practices.

Such networks in the workplace and personal contacts within companies open communication between job seekers and employers. While networking can jump-start a student’s application process, connections aren’t the only aspect that employers consider.

Barbara Juliussen, assistant director of the Career Development and Placement Assistance Office, did not deny that knowing people is a real and relevant issue.

“Networking and impressing the ‘right’ people is the best strategy for all majors and all companies,” she said in an email. “Personal referrals put you heads and shoulders ahead of your competition.”

Juliussen said that a job seeker should mention a contact in their interviews — tactfully referring to the contact and how that individual has encouraged the job seeker to pursue an interest with that specific employer.

Junior psychology and economics major Ken Moeller agreed that there is importance in networking and referrals, but he noted the potential for unfair advantages.

“It’s more likely people are going to be more interested or invested if they know someone in the company or field,” Moeller said. “But it can be a disadvantage if they do not know anyone, and because of that I would say that it could be unfair.”

Businesses often have corporate policies on hiring that reference the process of employee referrals.

Pittsburgh’s BNY Mellon, a leading asset management and securities services company, publishes its formal policy on personal referrals through details outlined in their corporate policies on hiring.

Lane Cigna, an employee in BNY Mellon’s Corporate Communications Department, said in an email that all hiring practices coincide with the outlined corporate policies on hiring. These policies say that the employers will take into consideration any formal or personal recommendations presented by a potential employee.

“Hiring decisions are made by the hiring manager in accordance with corporate policies on employment,” Cigna said. “All applications must be submitted online, and the process is initiated and coordinated by Human Resources.”

Cigna said that not all workplace connections fall in line with hiring policies. Cigna said that a scenario where a husband and wife would work in the same group and complete the same assignments would not appropriately meet BNY Mellon’s corporate policies.

But most companies do not release specific guidelines on personal connections’ role in hiring. PNC Bank, Alcoa Inc. and the Bayer Corporation declined to comment on their hiring policies.

For Pitt students anxious to begin networking in their fields, Pitt Career Network provides a resource to practice networking, and it comprises a database that features nearly 7,000 alumni who have volunteered to assist students in career planning.

“Nepotism does occur but students shouldn’t waste time being concerned if it is fair or unfair,” Juliussen said.

“They should put their energies towards gaining as much experience as possible and building their transferable skills to be competitive and attractive to future employers,” she said.

DeWalt said that individuals seeking jobs or internships should not undervalue networking.

“I believe that first impressions are just as important as resumés,” DeWalt said. “At this point, with the economy in the state it is, there are not as many jobs to be had. And qualifications are important, but having contacts may be just as if not more [important].”