Port Authority prepares for steep slashes in service

By Amy Friedenberger

Come September, students might have to find another way to get around the city late at… Come September, students might have to find another way to get around the city late at night.

The Pittsburgh Port Authority unveiled plans Wednesday to cut service times, raise bus and trolley fares and eliminate dozens of bus routes this year in response to a lack of state funding.

The new plan would take effect on Sept. 2, 2012, and lead to the elimination of 45 routes as part of an overall 35 percent service reduction. The cuts would terminate service for most routes at about 10 p.m. and eliminate 500 to 600 jobs, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The cuts would result in 100 municipalities and neighborhoods having no bus service, and riders whose routes are still running would pay more.

The Zone 1 fare is set to rise by 25 cents to $2.50, and Zone 2 rides will cost $3.75.

The Port Authority is facing a projected $64 million deficit in its 2012-2013 operating budget, and the shortfall creates pressure for it to make deep cuts.

The Port Authority cut 15 percent of its services last March, eliminating 29 routes and reducing weekly service on on an additional 37 routes.

Gov. Tom Corbett will be making his 2012-2013 budget address by early February, and the speech could address the transportation issue.

Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald released a statement on Wednesday saying the proposed cuts will have a “significant and profound impact” on Pittsburgh’s residents and economy.

“Solving this funding issue will require action at the local and state level,” he said. “It took Port Authority nearly 50 years to get into this situation, and it’s going to take some time to get out of it as well.”

Service would be discontinued to the Allegheny County Airport in West Mifflin, Boyce Campus of Community College of Allegheny County, Brinton Towers senior housing complex in Braddock Hills, Olympia Shopping Center in McKeesport, Parkway Center Mall in Banksville and the VA Medical Center on Highland Drive in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar.

In addition to other opposition, the announced plan drew criticism from the Occupy Pittsburgh campers, who sent out a press release Wednesday.

Occupy Pittsburgh member Bob Glidden, 47, encouraged people to contact their state representative to voice concerns about the importance of mass transit in Pittsburgh and to express why it should receive more funds.

“People rely on buses to get to schools and jobs here,” Glidden said. “But another feature is that mass transit reduces congestion on the roads and pollution. You also need to remember that some people don’t have vehicles and older people may not drive.”

Occupy Pittsburgh will rally at bus stops and bus routes to show opposition for the planned cuts. Occupiers will also be at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center on Feb. 29 for the Port Authority public hearing during the public discussion period.