Oakland resident announces independent City Council campaign

Image courtesy of Jason Nix

Oakland resident Jacob Nixon announced his independent District 3 City Council campaign Wednesday.

By Erica Guthrie, Assistant News Editor

Oakland resident Jacob Nixon announced his independent City Council campaign for District 3 Wednesday. He will be on the Nov. 5 ballot alongside incumbent and democratic nominee Bruce Kraus.

Nixon, a 28-year-old lifelong Pittsburgh resident, currently serves as the associate director of development for the Pennsylvania College Access Program, a nonprofit that provides disadvantaged high school students and veterans with college-preparatory services.

He had previously been employed in construction as a detailer and as a foreman, and was a member of the United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers and Allied Workers Local #37.

“I am proud of my accomplishments working as a contractor repairing and building homes,” Nixon said in a press release. “I have a track record of repairing and improving our neighborhoods and fighting for our children’s education.”

Nixon said his priorities included growing small businesses in the City, rescinding the 5% deed transfer tax, eliminating strict parking rules and cleaning up the neighborhoods.

Nixon said he was motivated to run because he believes Kraus has not been an accessible representative for the district, which includes South and Central Oakland.  

“What I mean by that is, if we are going to change our community, we need someone who is on the ground in the communities,” Nixon said in the press release.

Kraus, a two-term incumbent, has been holding the District 3 seat in City Council since 2008. He was voted president of City Council by his fellow councilmembers in 2014. In April’s democratic primary, Kraus won 55% of the vote, while opponents Kenneth Wolfe and Chris Kumanchik won 34% and 11% of the vote, respectively.