A Grain of Saul: Tebow, Foster explode

By Isaac Saul

When the NFL playoffs kicked off this weekend, it was tough to choose a storyline to… When the NFL playoffs kicked off this weekend, it was tough to choose a storyline to follow.

In the AFC, the Texans had made their first playoff game ever and were set to take on a Bengals team that looked reborn.

A banged-up Steelers squad was preparing to face off with the unpredictable Tim Tebow — a man who has dominated headlines all year for both his clutch play and vehement religious beliefs.

In the NFC, we were all anticipating Drew Brees’ return to the playoffs on the heels of his record-breaking regular season when he shattered a 26-year-old record set by Dan Marino for passing yards. His opponent? The Detroit Lions, another franchise back from the dead — this one led by Calvin “Megatron” Johnson — a goliath of a wide receiver with hands like magnets and legs like pogo sticks.

In the final wildcard matchup, New York fans were waiting to see Eli Manning prove he was a playoff vet by knocking off the youthful and exciting Atlanta Falcons.

Forty-eight hours later, the list of stories has thinned: the Broncos, Texans, Giants and Saints have moved on, while the top-ranked Patriots, Ravens, Packers and 49ers wait in anticipation.

What We Learned in the AFC

It’s possible that Houston might actually, really, truthfully be for real. Maybe.

Arian Foster is Arian Foster. His legs don’t hurt anymore. He is the best running back in the NFL playoffs right now.

Andy Dalton and A.J. Green are an exciting duo, but they’re a few years away from making a run deep into the playoffs together.

Having a rookie defensive end return an interception for a touchdown is the fastest way to deflate an offense.

Don’t bet against Tim Tebow. Ever.

The Steelers defense relies on a healthy line up front — one it didn’t have this year.

Ben Roethlisberger should not have played against the 49ers a few weeks ago. His ankle hasn’t been right since.

Demaryius Thomas has arrived. His 204 yards on four receptions and the game-winning touchdown have cemented him as Tebow’s favorite target.

Defense continues to be the most important thing to have in the AFC.

What We Learned in the NFC

Johnson — even in defeat — simply can’t be touched. Despite double and triple teams, he continued to dominate all game. He is the best wide receiver in the NFL.

Brees has more command over his offense than any other quarterback in the playoffs right now. Even Aaron Rodgers. Three touchdowns and 466 yards in the playoffs is simply ridiculous.

Darren Sproles is the top utility man in the NFL. The Chargers should have never let him go.

It is hard to tackle Pierre Thomas.

It is easy to tackle anyone in the Falcons’ backfield.

The only thing you can make fun of Eli Manning for is that dumbfounded expression seemingly permanently plastered on his face.

What to Look Forward To

If I were Baltimore (Houston’s next opponent), I’d be very fearful of No. 23. Foster looks like he has returned to prime form after battling injuries all year, and his 153 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries Sunday was a message heard loud and clear.

Tebow has proved his abilities are as sporadic and inconsistent as anyone’s. If he has a good day, that pass defense of New England will be in trouble. Can it be enough to top Tom Brady? Probably not. But that’s what I thought about Roethlisberger too.

New York and Green Bay played in what was probably the best regular season game of the year in Week 13. Eli Manning is a seasoned vet now, and the Giants pose just as big a threat to the Packers as anyone else. Expect this game to be a brawl.

New Orleans looks incredibly hot, and the 49ers are inexperienced in the playoffs and haven’t been on the field for two weeks. I expect the Saints’ offense to roll over a highly touted San Francisco defense (unless the weather is extraordinarily poor).

My Super Bowl prediction from Week 16 is still intact. Green Bay over New England.