Football: SMU rolls over Pitt in Compass Bowl

By Sean Corrado

The Southern Methodist defense forced two turnovers and earned seven sacks to

lead the Mustangs… The Southern Methodist defense forced two turnovers and earned seven sacks to

lead the Mustangs to a 28-6 victory in the BBVA Compass Bowl title Saturday afternoon.

Pitt interim head coach Keith Patterson failed to provide a positive ending to the 2011 season, as the Panthers lost in their first game back since the shocking exit of former coach Todd Graham.

SMU struck first blood when quarterback J.J. McDermott threw a 50-yard touchdown pass to

junior receiver Darius Johnson on SMU’s second possession. The SMU offense would not slow down, leaving Pitt in a 21-0 deficit going into the second quarter.

“I’m glad we got off to the start that we did,” SMU coach June Jones said

at halftime. “[Without our strong defensive play] it would be a closer game.”

With a large lead to start the second half, the Mustangs simply controlled the game for the final 30 minutes.

McDermott would throw for a total of 240 yards and two touchdowns. Running back Rishad Wimbley pushed his way for two goal line scores to continue to pound the Panther defense.

The overwhelming tenacity of the SMU defense found a way to stop every push the Pitt offense gave.

Just when the Panthers were heating up on a 79-yard drive in the second quarter, Mustangs’ linebacker Stephon Sanders picked off Tino Sunseri at the goal line on a juggling reception.

SMU blocked a punt at the Pittsburgh 14-yard line with six minutes remaining to play, acting as the final dagger to the Panther season.

The Panthers –who averaged nearly 150 rushing yards a game – only managed seven yards on the ground on 29 attempts. Without a running game, Sunseri was unable to avoid a strong pass rush and get throws off cleanly, preventing any Pittsburgh threat throughout the game.

Mustang’s true freshman running back Jared Williams sustained a serious leg injury after a hit from Pitt defensive back Andrew Taglianetti and was carted off the field in the fourth quarter. Early reports are that Williams broke his femur.

Paul Chryst – Wisconsin’s offensive coordinator – will take a hold of the head coaching opportunity for Pitt next season. Chryst, along with a new staff he is bringing along, will look to improve on a season that chalked up seven losses, finishing fifth in the Big East.