Keep healthy with quick recipes

By Kirstin Kennedy

When you are on a time and money budget during the school year, Chipotle and Dunkin Donuts might… When you are on a time and money budget during the school year, Chipotle and Dunkin Donuts might seem like the best pit stop for you to re-energize, and we all know that one meal at Panera can shoot you way past the 10-buck range, and anything off the dollar menu will make you feel sick. And, of course, you don’t have time to venture out of Oakland, hunting for a snack. Instead, try these five inexpensive recipies to satisfy your hunger. They are guaranteed to give you a healthy boost, they are far cheaper than going out to eat, and you can reuse almost all of the other ingredients throughout the week. Did I mention that they are beyond easy, too?

Savory Chicken Salad

One large, cooked chicken breast, either diced or pulled.

One tsp tarragon

10-15 purple grapes, halved

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1/3 cup diced celery

1/3 cup diced red onion

Aprox. 2 tbsp light mayonnaise (add more or less to your choosing)

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in one bowl and mix.

This works for sandwiches, crackers or a quick snack by itself. The best thing about this dish is that it will keep throughout the entire week as a backup lunch when you are in a hurry.

Nutty Apple Delight

2-4 Granny Smith apples (depending on how much you want to make), cut into slices

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

3 oz of fresh, spreadable goat cheese (or cream cheese for a less expensive and equally tasty option)

2 tbsp honey

Smear a bit of goat cheese over half of each slice of apple. Sprinkle the walnuts all over, allowing them to stick to the cheese and drizzle honey over the nuts.

This is a great breakfast because of the protein in the nuts, fiber from the apple and the concentrated sugar in the apple and honey. It also works as a good snack or a fancy treat to bring to a study group.

Roasted Tomato Pizzas

5-10 tomatoes, halved horizontally

Generous amounts of olive oil

Fresh goat cheese or mozzarella cheese

3 oz basil, chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

Take the halved tomatoes, and rub olive oil over the tops. Add salt and pepper. Roast them in the oven until the moisture in the tomatoes is nearly evaporated. This will take 3-5 hours, depending on how thick the tomatoes are.

Take the tomatoes out of the oven, let them cool, and refrigerate overnight. To make the pizzas, place a dollop of goat cheese or mozzarella cheese on the tomatoes and sprinkle with basil.

Although these tomatoes take a long time to make, they are virtually effort-free and will make your entire kitchen smell sweet. The cheese and basil make them fresh and delicious. Make them ahead of time for an easy snack when you’re busy later. Just when you think that you are going to waste money on pizza, pull these tomatoes out, and you will be instantly satisfied.

Fettuccini Alfredo

One package of fettuccini

1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1 1/2 tbsp margarine

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Salt, pepper and chopped parsley to taste

Cook the fettuccini according to the package instructions. Personally, I keep the noodles in the water for an extra 2 minutes. Over medium heat, combine the heavy whipping cream, margarine, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Stir this over the heat until it thickens, about five minutes. Pour the sauce over the fettuccini, toss in the parmesan cheese and sprinkle with parsley.

This pasta dish is surprisingly easy. It also keeps, so eat it for lunch, dinner or a snack when you know you need a bit of energy.

Banana Mountains

2-4 ripe bananas cut in to one-inch slices

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pistachios

On each banana round, dollop a teaspoon of peanut butter and sprinkle chopped nuts all over, allowing them to stick to the peanut butter.

The sweet taste of the peanut butter and the salty taste of the chopped nuts are so delicious that you’ll want to have them made and ready to pop in your mouth all week.