Kaback: Forget rankings — community determines best colleges

By Andrew Kaback

Dear Prospective University of Pittsburgh College Student,

I spent my senior year of high school stressing about which university would be the right fit for me. Dear Prospective University of Pittsburgh College Student,

I spent my senior year of high school stressing about which university would be the right fit for me. Poring through really unnecessarily expensive reference books seemed like the appropriate thing to do, so I did it. I made rankings for everything. There was a list for nightlife, size and prestige. I knew which schools had the most difficult admissions processes, highest SAT score averages and lowest dropout rates. Unfortunately, I really didn’t learn anything about the colleges that I looked at.

Between all of the packets I made and presentations I attended, my decision-making process became too methodical. It was like deciding if I liked a dish based on the nutrition facts sheet. I thought about looking into the culture of campuses, but how can anyone figure that out from an afternoon visit?

Within two months of beginning my official college career, I was washing out my eyes and trying to catch deep breaths between coughing fits that were disgusting my new dormmates. G-20 left few without stories, but I always took the event as some poetic sign from the universe that I was out in the real world, away from the comfort of my hometown and parents’ watchful eye. I was just a bystander, wondering what it must have been like at Kent State University in 1970 or on the steps of Little Rock Central High School in 1957. For me, the G-20 summit marked the end of my life as a child and it was never a consideration in my school selection.

The things that matter and define your college experience have nothing to do with student-teacher ratios or orientations. I connected to a community through an international event and came to love Pitt through everything but what shows up in the guide book. So here’s my advice to you: Judge us on what actually matters.

Like the Oakland Zoo. Unless Duke is the only other school under consideration, dismiss any notion that there is a better sports experience than the endurance test of a Pitt basketball game. Make sure that cardio is on the workout schedule and be willing to lose your voice, because the thrill of the Zoo is like BASE jumping. Every shot taken on the court will result in a skipped heartbeat, and the first game that is decided in its final seconds will stay with you forever. Even when it’s not basketball season, try finding a better sing-along than “Sweet Caroline.”

Like pizza. One of the first things that you will be tested on in Oakland will be your pizza parlor of choice. Make your decision very carefully, because it will stick with you for the rest of your life. I know friendships that have been torn apart over the decision whether to make a late-night run to Antoon’s or to Sorrento’s. Move over Republicans and Democrats, because the pizza debate is the only thing that matters on your South Oakland Friday night.

Like the Cathedral of Learning. Yes, I know that it kind of looks like Hogwarts. No, they didn’t film the movie there. The Cathedral will be of use to you in every state of your college life. When you’re hungry, you go to the Cathedral. When you have to go to class, you go to the Cathedral. When you have absolutely no clue where you are in Pittsburgh, follow the Cathedral. Take an elevator ride to the top and take in a view of the city, or tour the Nationality Rooms that you’ll despise having class in. Grab a tan on the lawn while you take in the beauty of Heinz Chapel and the sheer size of our beloved building. Every school has a focal point, but none is like ours.

Like South Oakland. I know that some purists will argue that it’s actually Central Oakland, but let’s be real — South Oakland can be the best neighborhood in the world. Sure, it’s not always clean and apartments might be run-down, but walking the streets at night is like turning into Rocky as he climbs the art museum steps. It’s not just a neighborhood, it’s our neighborhood. For the rest of our lives, we will have our years in South Oakland to remember what Pitt means to us.

Please throw out the rankings and forget about what the books say. The right college isn’t about the right test score; it’s the place where you can grow into an adult and have some fun along the way. I love Pitt, and I’m sure that you will too. I’m sure that you will find yourself staring at the victory lights on a weekend night and thinking to yourself: I love this place. I know that I do.

Write Andrew at [email protected].