Pitt professor receives Germany’s highest honor

By Mary Mallampalli

A Pitt philosophy professor received Germany’s highest award on Thursday.

Nicholas Rescher… A Pitt philosophy professor received Germany’s highest award on Thursday.

Nicholas Rescher was presented with the Officer’s Cross of the Order of Merit at the University Club, in front of about 75 guests. Busso von Alvensleben, consul general of the Federal Republic of Germany, presented the award.

Rescher, 83, worked closely with the German government throughout his career as a renowned systematic philosopher. He tries to use philosophy to explain questions and problems related to human life. Now he teaches courses on logic, philosophy of science and history of philosophy, among others.

“Professor Rescher has long been one of the most respected and beloved members of our faculty. His accomplishments are just amazing,” said Chancellor Mark Nordenberg, who gave opening remarks. “For the German government to recognize what he has done through their highest award really is a wonderful reflection on him and really makes everyone at the University feel good.”

Throughout his years as a philosopher, editor, writer and distinguished professor, Rescher worked closely with other academics to translate the works of philosophers from the 17th century, including those of Gottfried Leibniz, a famous German philosopher and mathematician.

“I had done a lot of work in philosophy, and I’ve done a lot of contact work between German philosophers and American philosophers,” Rescher said. “It feels great [to be honored with this award.] It’s always nice to have people appreciate what one is trying to do. It’s very gratifying to get a pat on the back, as it were.”

Last year, Pitt recognized Rescher for his 50 years of service by establishing the Nicholas Rescher Prize for Contributions to Systematic Philosophy.

Since he received his doctorate from Princeton University and joined Pitt’s philosophy department in 1961, Rescher, a native of Hagen, Germany, has written more than 100 books — many of which have been translated into other languages — as well as hundreds of journal articles.

The professor also served as the president of the American Philosophical Association and as the editor of three

journals — the American Philosophical Quarterly, the History of Philosophy Quarterly and the Public Affairs Quarterly.

In his studies of ancient Germany philosophy, Rescher also discovered Leibniz’s idea of a machine that could decipher complex texts. The machine was apparently used in the 17th century, and Rescher is working with the German government to reconstruct the machine, according to von Alvensleben.

“You only get this award if you excel in your merits and services to the country. Here it is in [Rescher’s] achievements in philosophy to Germany. We think that this is wonderful, and that we should honor him for his achievement,” von Alvensleben said.