Robinson, Gibbs lead Pitt over Tennessee

By Sean Corrado

Nasir Robinson’s offensive play powered the men’s basketball team to a 61-56 victory… Nasir Robinson’s offensive play powered the men’s basketball team to a 61-56 victory against Tennessee Saturday evening.

Robinson grabbed 12 rebounds – 9 of them offensive– and scored 16 points for his first double-double of the season.

The Panthers were without point guard Travon Woodall, who was out with an abdominal tear and groin injury. As a result, Pitt had difficulty penetrating the Volunteer defense and was forced to take outside jumpers with the shot clock running under ten seconds on 9 possessions in the first half.

Ashton Gibbs – Pitt’s season leading scorer – split time with freshman John Johnson at the point. Gibbs was able to create scoring opportunities throughout the game with six assists and could see more time at point guard now that early projections predict that Woodall’s injury could keep him on the bench for at least a month.

Gibbs’ shots were not falling early, but he improved toward the end of the second half – scoring 10 of his 16 points. With three seconds remaining, the victory was sealed when Gibbs stripped the ball from Tennessee point guard Trae Golden and forced a jump ball, with the possession error – and a two point lead – in the Panthers’ favor.

Tennessee’s attack was well balanced with four of its five starters scoring more than eight points. The scoring was highlighted by guard Cameron Tatum’s 13 points and 11 rebounds. But Tennessee’s inability to rebound – which allowed Pitt to tally 14 offensive boards – was its downfall.

Pitt only shot 12 of 33 at the halftime, but a combination of eight offensive rebounds and seven Tennessee turnovers kept the Panthers alive early. Pitt regained the lead on a 7-0 run to end the final 4:21 of the half, bringing the score to 27-26.

The Volunteers came out strong defensively out of the break, holding Pitt scoreless for the first four minutes. They captured a small 4-point lead with 14 minutes remaining.

But after Junior Dante Taylor scored on a dunk and a jumper on back-to-back possessions, Pitt took the lead and never gave it back.

The victory over Tennessee give No. 17 Pittsburgh a 1-0 record on the national stage and a win for the Big East in the SEC challenge. The Panthers are back in action against Virginia Military Tuesday, Dec. 6.