Ex-police officer acquitted in Antwon Rose case sues Pitt

Ex-Pitt+police+officer+Michael+Rosfeld+filed+a+civil+complaint+against+the+University+alleging+that+Senior+Vice+Chancellor+for+Engagement+Kathy+Humphrey+%E2%80%9Cintervened+with+and+acted+in+concert%E2%80%9D+with+Pitt+police+Chief+James+Loftus+after+he+arrested+Humphrey%E2%80%99s+son+outside+of+Garage+Door+Saloon+in+2017.+

Knox Coulter | Assistant Visual Editor for Multimedia

Ex-Pitt police officer Michael Rosfeld filed a civil complaint against the University alleging that Senior Vice Chancellor for Engagement Kathy Humphrey “intervened with and acted in concert” with Pitt police Chief James Loftus after he arrested Humphrey’s son outside of Garage Door Saloon in 2017.

By Jon Moss, News Editor

Ex-Pitt police officer Michael Rosfeld filed a civil complaint against the University, Pitt police Chief James Loftus and Senior Vice Chancellor for Engagement Kathy Humphrey on Thursday for allegedly violating his due process rights and the 14th Amendment in his Jan. 18, 2018, termination.

Pitt spokesperson Kevin Zwick said the University has yet to receive the lawsuit.

Rosfeld was acquitted last March in the June 2018 shooting of 17-year-old Antwon Rose Jr., which occurred during his tenure as a police officer for the East Pittsburgh Police Department.

Rosfeld, who began working as a police officer on Oct. 15, 2012, arrested Timothy Riley, Jacob Schilling and Humphrey’s son Daniel on Dec. 9, 2017, outside of Garage Door Saloon on Atwood Street. He alleged in the complaint that Humphrey “intervened with and acted in concert” with Loftus to facilitate his eventual termination, in retaliation for arresting her son.

Two days after the arrest, on the morning of Dec. 11, 2017, Pitt police Deputy Chief Holly Lamb and Officer David Basile arrived at Rosfeld’s home and said he had been placed on administrative leave. Loftus handed Rosfeld a termination letter six weeks later, on Jan. 18, 2018, citing an internal investigation.

In the complaint, Rosfeld claims that he was not afforded a Loudermill hearing prior to his termination notice — a violation of due process — in which he could present evidence to contest his termination. He also seeks immediate reinstatement as a police officer and compensation for lost wages or other benefits he would have earned since his termination.

The Allegheny County District Attorney’s office ultimately withdrew the charges against the men, leading Riley and Schilling to sue in federal court, claiming false arrest. The case was voluntarily dismissed in December 2018.

Editor’s note: The headline of this article has been changed, as the death of Antwon Rose was legally ruled to not be a homicide. The Pitt News regrets this error.