Women’s Basketball: Pitt picks up first win of season

By Jon Anzur

In the time between Pitt’s season opener on Saturday and the team’s victory over St. Francis… In the time between Pitt’s season opener on Saturday and the team’s victory over St. Francis on Tuesday night, Ashlee Anderson seemingly transformed into a different player.

The redshirt sophomore followed her scoreless performance against Hampton with a career-high 29 points against the Red Flash, leading the Pitt women’s basketball team to a 78-50 win, the team’s first victory of the season.

Despite a rough start to the season , Anderson said her record-setting scoring against the Red Flash didn’t surprise her.

“I was just trying to do the things that I know I’m capable of doing to help the team win,” Anderson said. “I’ve got a lot of confidence in my coaching staff and a lot of confidence in my teammates. That was where a lot of my intensity and a lot of my scoring came from.”

Although she said that it’s important for every player to contribute, head coach Agnus Berenato acknowledged that Anderson’s production is special.

“When Ashlee goes to the rack, she goes to the rack with authority,” Berenato said. “Everyone out there on the court knew who Ashlee Anderson was tonight.”

Berenato added that Anderson’s all-around performance dictates how the rest of her team plays.

“Ashlee’s play will become contagious,” she said. “I think at the same time, Ashlee’s lack of play is contagious as well. Tonight, she just let the game come to her.”

Anderson went 13-20 from the field against the Red Flash, spending most of her night battling in the paint. She finished with eight rebounds.

The Panthers got off to a sloppy start, turning the ball over on four of their first six possessions. The Red Flash increased the pressure by switching to a full-court man-to-man press five minutes into the game. Pitt turned the ball over on its next possession.

But the Panthers adjusted quickly, generating easy layups out of double teams on back-to-back trips before redshirt sophomore Abby Dowd knocked down a wide-open 3-pointer. Dowd finished with 15 points.

Pitt also began pressing midway through the half. The pressure caused most of St. Francis’ 13 first-half turnovers — half of their total for the game.

The Panthers seized on the Red Flash’s mistakes. Leeza Burdgess’ layup began a 21-10 run that was capped off by another Dowd 3-pointer seconds before the half ended.

Pitt led 35-22 at halftime.

St. Francis came out of the locker strong, scoring two quick baskets to decrease Pitt’s lead to eight. But the Panthers continued to exploit the Red Flash’s shaky press, and Dowd hit an uncontested 3-pointer to put the Panthers back up by 11.

From there the score was never close.

Brianna Kiesel nearly logged a triple-double for the Panthers. The freshman point guard, who owns four of her high school’s all-time records, finished with 17 points, eight assists and nine rebounds in her second collegiate game.

Kiesel said that transitioning to the college game from high school is “a little tough at times” but that having Anderson as a teammate helps.

“The transition from high school to college was huge,” she said. “After every game, I have to review tape so I can get better. I think I’m doing a little bit better keeping up with everyone. Plus we have Ashlee, who’s a leader.”

Pitt shot 47 percent from the field while holding St. Francis to a meager 27 percent. The Red Flash managed three baskets in the second half.

Pitt hosts Loyola (Md.) on Friday at 11 a.m.

The women’s basketball program will entertain over 2,700 school-age children from 35 Pittsburgh-area elementary and middle schools for its annual School Day promotion.

The event aims to teach children “the importance of school and good sportsmanship,” according to the press release. The game will also be the 800th of  Berenato’s career.