Pitt drops double-digit lead to Cincinnati, loses 26-23

By RJ Sepich

For Panther fans at Heinz Field Saturday night, it was déjà vu all over again as the Pitt… For Panther fans at Heinz Field Saturday night, it was déjà vu all over again as the Pitt football team blew a double-digit lead in a 26-23 loss to the Cincinnati Bearcats.

Just like the heartbreaking defeat the Panthers suffered in the 2009 version of Saturday night’s game, a missed kick – this time it was a failed 50-yard attempt by junior kicker Kevin Harper with less than a minute remaining – which left Pitt just short of taking over first place in the Big East standings.

Harper had been perfect on the night prior to that final kick. He made his first three attempts of the game, including a 52-yarder which was a collegiate record for Heinz Field.

When junior tight end Hubie Graham caught a four-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Tino Sunseri early in the third quarter, the Panthers took a 23-13 lead. But, unfortunately for Pitt (4-5, 2-2 Big East), that was the last they would score.

The Bearcats (7-1, 3-0 Big East) took advantage of two Pitt turnovers to score the final 13 points of the game and now have a commanding lead in the race for the Big East conference title.

The defeat leaves Pitt at 2-2 in conference and with little chance of reaching a BCS game this season.