The Muppets’ reunion hardly remarkable

By Kirstin Kennedy

Kermit the Frog, his estranged wife Miss Piggy and the rest of the Muppet mob have gathered once again… “The Muppets”

Directed by: James Bobin

Starring:  Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy

Grade: B

Kermit the Frog, his estranged wife Miss Piggy and the rest of the Muppet mob have gathered once again. “The Muppets,” the first film featuring Jim Henson’s characters in 12 years, incorporates everything that you would expect of the classic show — cheesy punch lines, slapstick humor, blatant irony and a nostalgic reunion.

Gary (Jason Segel) and his puppet brother Walter, voiced by Peter Linz, live in a Small Town America, Main Street type of town where they share a house, a bedroom and matching pajamas. In the opening scene, the brothers initiate a song sequence full of singing, swinging and even tap dancing. Although Segel doesn’t have the promise of becoming the next Gene Kelly, his cheerful voice and enthusiasm set the tone for the characters’ perfect world.

Gary and his brother are Muppet enthusiasts. Walter, Kermit’s number-one fan, longs to meet his idol and the rest of the muppets. When Gary and his girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams), plan to take a celebratory 10-year-anniversary trip, Walter is invited along with promises of touring the old Muppet theater and visiting Kermit’s former office. The film’s beginning is extremely whimsical with bright colors and dancing that remain consistent throughout the film.

While visiting the run-down stage, Walter faces a conflict that convinces him, Gary and Mary to locate Kermit the Frog and reunite the entire Muppet cast. Kermit accepts the subsequent invitation and the protagonist start to work to get the group back together. The characters become very self-aware, especially during a 15-minute dialogue between the characters as they question how they defy time and travel across the world. This element is an example of the tone of irony that goes unnoticed by children, but will certainly be welcomed by the adults in the audience.

At this point, the movement of the film begins to feel very familiar — almost too familiar. It makes use of the same plot as every other “getting the band back together” film, but this is the puppet version of “The Blues Brothers,” minus the violence and swearing. Their show goes on, but some scenes that are meant to give purpose to the film and the characters are so fantastical that it’s hard to retain an emotional investment.

“The Muppets” is full of cameos, laughs and sweet plot elements. It’s a good film for the family over Thanksgiving Break, but not much more.