Best Of: Food

Italian: Joe Mama’s

Whether you’re craving sandwiches, pizza or… Italian: Joe Mama’s

Whether you’re craving sandwiches, pizza or pasta, Joe Mama’s on Forbes Avenue can satisfy anyone in Oakland at an affordable price. The friendly service and jovial atmosphere only add to the quality Italian food found at this restaurant.

Editor’s Pick: Lidia’s

Chinese: Taiwan Cafe

Located at the corner of Forbes and Oakland Avenues, students often venture to Taiwan Cafe to satisfy their Chinese food cravings. After entering Taiwan Cafe’s unique underground dining area, guests can enjoy the tasty General Tso’s chicken, among many other favorites.

Editors’ Pick: LuLu’s Noodles

Indian: India Garden

Opened by Didar Singh in 1994, India Garden boasts a huge menu with reasonable prices, while offering 50 percent off happy hours, appetizers and dinners. India Garden also boasts a Super Lunch Buffet and a Deluxe Dinner Buffet on Sundays and Tuesdays. For the over-21 crowd, India Garden has a large selection of Indian beers.

Editors’ Pick: Indian food carts

Mexican: Mad Mex

This restaurant on Atwood Street makes almost everything from scratch, with high quality Mexican food with heavy influences from Texas, California, and of course Mexico. Mad Mex is also famous for its 22-oz. margaritas and huge selection of beers.

Editors’ Pick: Veracruz

Sushi: Sushi Boat

Located on Oakland Avenue, Sushi Boat offers a wide range of sushi, from simple vegetable rolls to more exotic choices like the Dragon Roll (eel, avocado and smelt roe). With reasonable prices (six-piece orders start at $2.70) and an extensive menu, Sushi Boat provides students with a convenient location to get their fix of raw fish.

Editors’ pick: Oishii

Japanese: Oishii

The full name of Oishii, “Oishii Bento,” means “yummy lunchbox,” and the restaurant lives up to that title by providing diners with authentic Korean and Japanese cuisine. Oishii is located on Oakland Avenue, and its website boasts that they use only the freshest ingredients in preparing healthy and delicious Japanese food.

Editors’ pick: Sushi Boat

Thai/Southeast Asian: Spice Island

The Spice Island Tea House, located on Atwood Street, offers a cozy environment in which to enjoy food from Southeast Asia. With entrees ranging from $10-$15, it is especially known for its extensive menu that offers a wide array of beers, wines and teas.

Editors’ Pick: Pusadee Cafe

Vietnamese: Pho Van

Pho Van is a stylish Vietnamese eatery located downtown in the Strip District and specializes in traditional Vietnamese cooking. The menu offers

a variety of traditional noodle soups, appetizers and family meals. It is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner and the entrees average $10 or less per tray.

Editors’ Pick: Vietnam’s Pho

Korean: Oishii

Located on Oakland Avenue across from Peter’s Pub, Oishii offers authentic Japanese and Korean cuisine served bento-style. Oishii’s dishes emphasize health and well-being. Each bento dish is served with a side of either kimchi — a traditional Korean dish made with vegetables and various seasonings — or a salad with sesame dressing. Not familiar with Korean cuisine? Try the chicken teriyaki bento bowl.

Editors’ Pick: Korean Garden

Middle Eastern: Leena’s

The self-dubbed maker of the “World’s Best Gyro,” Leena’s brings a taste of the Middle East to Oakland. Leena’s always offers great service, as

well as some of the best hummus, falafel and baklava in the 412. But, as its sign proclaims, few do it better than Leena’s when it comes to gyros.

Editors’ Pick: Salim’s

Half-price: Fuel and Fuddle

This Oakland establishment offers low-price American fare that fits a college student’s budget. It offers two hand-brewed house beers to go along with the famous sweet potato fries and an extensive list of appetizers. Fuel and Fuddle is open daily from 11 a.m to 2 a.m.

Editors’ Pick: Mad Mex

Date restaurant: Cheesecake Factory

Located in South Side, this chain restaurant is mostly known for its wide variety of cheesecake, but it also offers a large menu with options including pasta, sandwiches and seafood. By the time the desert portion of the evening comes around, you might be splitting a piece of cheesecake with your date.

Editors’ Pick: The Melting Pot

Restaurant to take your parents: Joe Mama’s

Bring your parents in for some Italian wedding soup and pasta in the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere at Joe Mama’s. The menu includes hot subs, pizza and delicious entrees. The selections taste even better when the parents come down and treat you to the best Italian food on Forbes Avenue.

Editors’ Pick: Pamela’s

Lunch Place: Panera Bread

From the hot panini to the hearty soups, Panera Bread always provides a satisfying lunch with a side of chips, apple or freshly baked

bread. Fruit smoothies, creamy macaroni and cheese and healthy salads all appear on a menu that provides a healthy alternative to fast food .

Editors’ Pick: Campus Deli

Coffee: Dunkin’ Donuts

America runs on Dunkin’, but Pitt students do too. With the perfect location on Forbes Avenue, Dunkin’ has quickly cemented itself as the go-to place for coffee in its second year on campus.

Editors’ Pick: Caribou Coffee

Wings: Quaker Steak and Lube

Located on Forbes Avenue, Quaker Steak offers over 12 sauces for the restaurant’s signature wings, advertised as the best wings in the USA. The chain has won over 100 awards and is consistently delicious.

Vegetarian: Red Oak Cafe

Located on Forbes Avenue between Atwood Street and Meyran Avenue, the Red Oak Cafe serves an array of vegetarian-friendly salads and sandwiches as well as daily specials with many locally grown and organic products.

Editors’ Pick: Eat Unique

Vegan: Red Oak Cafe

Using locally grown and organic products, Red Oak Cafe offers a variety of options for vegans and diners looking for healthy options on Forbes Avenue

Editors’ Pick: Ali Baba

Sandwich: Primanti Bros

Primanti Bros. makes Pittsburgh’s sandwich. Dating back to 1933, Primanti’s is famous for its sandwiches piled high with its signature coleslaw and french fries. It’s a hometown favorite that every out-of-town visitor needs to stop in and enjoy.

Editors’ Pick: Uncle Sam’s

Meals under $5: McDonald’s

The largest fast-food restaurant in the world sits right along Forbes Avenue. The McRib is back for a limited time only, but McDonald’s provides the solution for late-night cravings year-round. It’s cheap, it’s easy, it tastes pretty good and it’s open late. What else could you need?

Editors’ Pick: Food carts

Pizza: Sorrento’s

A popular stop on the weekends, Sorrento’s offers $5 pizzas that satisfy students’ appetites and their budgets. Sorrento’s also offers speciality pizzas — like the Hawaiian — as well as hoagies, salads and calzones.

Editors’ Pick: Pizza Romano

Ice cream: Dave and Andy’s

With lines that often extend out the door during the summer, Dave and Andy’s is an old-fashioned ice cream shop complete with old-fashioned wooden ice cream machines. A blackboard behind the counter details the flavors, including a popular choice: birthday cake.

Editors’ Pick: The tub at Market Central

French fries: The Original Hot Dog Shop

A Pitt classic, nearly every student has ventured into the restaurant located on South Bouquet Street and Forbes Avenue for an oversized portion of the famous “O fries.”

Editors’ Pick: Five Guys

Bagel shop: Bruegger’s

Bruegger’s, located on Forbes Avenue, offers a variety of bagel flavors from blueberry to everything. Pair your bagel choice with plain cream cheese or select from the other options, including honey walnut and jalapeno. Not in the mood for a bagel? The Bruegger’s menu also features coffee, deli sandwiches and panini.

Editors’ Pick: Pittsburgh Bagel Factory

Breakfast: Pamela’s

There’s not a more popular place during mornings in Oakland than Pamela’s. The diner is famous for their crepe-style hotcakes, including the chocolate chip banana hotcakes, and the selection of omelettes. Of course, no Pamela’s breakfast is complete with a side of lyonnaise potatoes.

Editors’ Pick: Red Oak Cafe

Hamburger: Five Guys

Don’t tell anyone at Five Guys that it’s “just a burger.” Employees and customers alike are liable to hurl free peanuts at you until you rescind such blasphemy. The reasonably priced American dietary staple comes with 15 possible toppings, including jalapeno peppers or A1 steak sauce, so you can customize the culinary masterpiece to your liking.

Editors’ Pick: Burgatory

On-campus eatery: Cathedral

What’s not to love about the Cathedral? There’s Chick-fil-A next to a sushi vendor if you need to grab a quick bite to eat between classes. Those feeling a little more bold might brave the grill (and the wait) at “Hometown Favorites” in order to sink their teeth into the holy grail of all on-campus eatery sandwiches: the Tuscan BLT.

Editors’ Pick: Market Central

Bar food: Hemingway’s Cafe

Students flock to the narrow confines of Hem’s to feast on Cardiac Stix, inhale a few Cloggin’ Fries and drink some beer. Well, lots and lots of beer. With a half-off menu in effect nearly four hours daily and a draft special for each day of the week, management is honestly surprised that you aren’t currently there.

Editors’ Pick: Mad Mex

Dessert: Razzy Fresh

With locations on Forbes Avenue, Craig Street and Murray Avenue, it’s a little-known fact that you’re never more than 18 feet away from a Razzy Fresh frozen yogurt parlor. Impress your friends with a half-peanut butter, half-taro cup topped with Cap’n Crunch — or you can just opt for vanilla.

Editors’ Pick: Dozen Bake Shop