Pitt football loses close game to West Virginia, 21-20

By Lauren Kirschman

The Pitt football team suffered a familiar fate on Friday night, falling to the West Virginia… The Pitt football team suffered a familiar fate on Friday night, falling to the West Virginia Mountaineers after building a two-touchdown lead in the first quarter.

In what might have been the final installment of the Backyard Brawl — at least for the foreseeable future — the Mountaineers took their first lead in the fourth quarter on a one-yard rush into the end zone by running back Shawne Alston.

The Panthers also gave up large early leads in losses to Iowa, Notre Dame, Utah and Cincinnati this season.

The touchdown gave West Virginia a 21-20 advantage that held for the remainder of the game. With the Mountaineers leaving for the Big 12 Conference and Pitt heading to the Atlantic Coast Conference, the one-point victory could be the final memory in the storied Backyard Brawl rivalry.

West Virginia filed a lawsuit against the Big East in an attempt to leave the Conference next year instead of honoring the 26-month waiting period.

The Panthers had two more opportunities to score after West Virginia took the lead, but failed on both. Sunseri took three sacks on Pitt’s final drive of the game, sealing the Mountaineers comeback and Pitt’s sixth loss of the season.

Pitt needed to win out to guarantee a winning season and a bowl game. Every team that finishes over .500 must be selected for a bowl game before any 6-6 squad.