M83 new album an electropop dream

By Kira Scammell

There’s no reason to rush: M83’s newly released album is a little piece of lovely reality. M83

Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming

Mute Records

Rocks like: An electro-pop dream

Grade: A-

There’s no reason to rush: M83’s newly released album is a little piece of lovely reality.

Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, the band’s first release since 2008, weaves together singles and interludes to create an electric wave of dream-pop ecstasy, reminiscent of the better sounds of the 1980s. The 22-track album also features contributions from Zola Jesus and Medicine’s Brad Laner.

M83 adds some new instrumentation — including acoustic guitar, saxophone, flute and strings — to its old formula to create a diversity of sound and take the listener on a sonic dream journey. Anthony Gonzalez, the band’s co-creator and primary member, has said that his inspiration for the album came from the idea that dreams are different for everyone..

“Midnight City,” the album’s first single, takes listeners to an electronic paradise of synth, throbbing beats and soft vocals. The sounds expertly complement a hypnotic melody that makes pushing the play button over and over a tempting option.

Each track sucks listeners into a different yet just-as-spell-binding beats, and the transitions between recordings flow perfectly. It’s as if every song is a new dream. The variety in this double album provides a well-rounded sound that will more than satiate electronica enthusiasts.