Big East Breakdown: West Virginia stays at top of rankings

By RJ Sepich

Big East football offered some surprises this week, while other games confirmed what we already… Big East football offered some surprises this week, while other games confirmed what we already knew.

Here’s what we learned from the four games involving Big East teams this weekend: West Virginia could run away with the league if it starts to play complete games. Connecticut is just there. Syracuse is addicted to playing close games. Louisville is really bad. Rutgers might be good. And Pitt might just be the most inconsistent team in the history of football.

With all that in mind, here are my rankings of the Big East football teams heading into week seven of the season:

1. West Virginia — There’s no debate about this spot anymore. With South Florida and Pitt getting blown out in consecutive weeks, the Mountaineers (5-1, 1-0 Big East) have to be the favorites to earn the conference’s BCS bid this season. Quarterback Geno Smith continues to put up ridiculous numbers after a 450-yard, four-touchdown performance in WVU’s 43-16 win over Connecticut. The only worry for the Mountaineers is that they continue to start games slowly — they were only up 10-9 at the half this week.

2. Rutgers — As unlucky as they seemed at the beginning of the season, the Scarlet Knights (4-1, 2-0 Big East) officially became Big East title contenders after their impressive 34-10 domination of Pitt. Rutgers defense leads the nation in turnovers and freshman quarterback Gary Nova looked decent in his first start Saturday. If the Scarlet Knights can win their next two against Navy and Louisville, it would set up a huge showdown against West Virginia Oct. 29 in Piscataway, N.J.

3. Cincinnati — Coming off a bye week, Cincinnati (4-1, 0-0 Big East) will be the last team to play its conference opener this weekend when it hosts Louisville. The Bearcats have been putting up big numbers all season, especially at home, and if quarterback Zach Collaros and running back Isaiah Pead can lead another offensive explosion Saturday, the Bearcats might prove themselves the underdog contenders in the Big East.

4. Pittsburgh — As impressive as Pitt’s (3-3, 1-1 Big East) win over South Florida was two weeks ago, its performance Saturday at Rutgers was proportionally unimpressive. The Panthers offense, apart from Ray Graham, looked disorganized and lost throughout the game as the quarterbacks threw four interceptions and suffered six sacks. Hosting a nonconference game against Utah just might be what Pitt needs to get its rhythm back before the Panthers return to Big East play against Connecticut.

5. South Florida — With the blowout loss to Pitt still on their minds, the Bulls (4-1, 0-1 Big East) come off a bye to face Connecticut on the road this weekend. Quarterback B.J. Daniels and the talented USF offense will look to respond after its worst game of the season by putting up lots of points against the reeling Huskies in an attempt to reestablish South Florida as one of the best teams in the Big East.

6. Syracuse — I’ve said it all season, and the Orange (4-2, 0-1 Big East) continue to prove me right. When Syracuse shows up, expect a close game. The Orange needed a field goal as time expired to avoid their fourth overtime game of the season in their 37-34 road victory against Tulane. Syracuse now has a bye week to ponder how it will stop West Virginia’s offense.

7. Connecticut — The Huskies (2-4, 0-1 Big East) suffered their first double-digit defeat of the season after a second-half explosion from WVU tore apart UConn’s defense. The Huskies made a game of it for a half, but they don’t have time to feel bad for themselves. With South Florida and Pitt up next for Connecticut, the team could find itself in a big hole really fast.

8. Louisville — For not the first time this season, the Cardinals (2-3, 0-0 Big East) finish last in my rankings. But this week marks the beginning of a new season for Louisville, because victories in conference play could make everyone forget about its mediocre start to the 2011 season. Opening Big East play at Cincinnati will be no easy task for Louisville, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of an upset if the Cardinals can slow down the Bearcats offense.

Offensive Player of the Week: Geno Smith, Quarterback, West Virginia — Only six weeks into the season, Smith, along with Pitt running back Ray Graham, has proved himself one of really only two candidates for Big East Offensive Player of the Year. Smith, who threw for 450 yards and four scores this weekend, is making 400-yard passing games look routine as he leads the conference’s most prolific offense.

Defensive Player of the Week: Logan Ryan, Cornerback, Rutgers — Ryan picked off two Tino Sunseri passes and returned one for a touchdown as the Scarlet Knights defense forced four turnovers in the Scarlet Knights’ surprise blowout win over Pitt. The Rutgers defense has been scary good this season, and if it can continue to lead the nation in turnovers, the Knights might just end up in a BCS game.

Coach of the Week — Greg Schiano, Rutgers — There’s really no contest in this category this week. Schiano and his coaching staff, which includes several former Pitt assistant coaches in its ranks, had Rutgers perfectly prepared for its huge matchup with the Panthers. The Scarlet Knights, who most experts predicted would finish last this season, swarmed Tino Sunseri and his offensive line all game in a dominating victory.

What to watch for in week seven: Bottom-feeders battle it out — With West Virginia on bye and Rutgers hosting Navy, some of the lower-ranked teams in my rankings are left to battle in the two Big East conference games this weekend. South Florida plays at Connecticut, and Cincinnati hosts Louisville in what could be a weekend for some of the less favorable teams to earn respect.