Soccer: Panthers desperate for win

By Jon Anzur

With the Big East tournament one month away, the members of the Pitt women’s soccer team know… With the Big East tournament one month away, the members of the Pitt women’s soccer team know they have to start winning games now if they don’t want to wait another year to contend for the conference championship.

Pitt (1-7-4, 0-2-2) is in last place in the Big East’s American Division after tying Rutgers on Friday night and falling to Seton Hall on Sunday. Five of the eight teams in each of the Big East’s two divisions will advance to the Big East tournament, which starts Oct. 27. Pitt’s two points put the team four points behind Syracuse, St. John’s and Providence for the final spot.

The Panthers hope to begin their postseason push this Friday against Villanova (4-6-2, 0-4), which sits in last place in the neighboring National Division. The Wildcats have lost three straight games.

“We’re only four points out of third place,” senior goalkeeper Kristina Rioux — who ranks fifth in the nation with 66 saves — said. “If we get a win against Villanova, who’s also struggling, then that will push us forward.”

Head coach Sue-Moy Chin doesn’t usually call her team’s attention to an opponent’s record — particularly a losing one. But it seems like a good time to start, what with the Panthers still searching for their first Big East win and heading into Friday’s matchup against a Villanova team that is also winless.

“It’s really the first time our coaches have mentioned a team’s record,” Rioux said. “But I think they did so to let us know that we’re not the only ones struggling in the conference. They just want to show us that Villanova’s in the same boat as us — gunning for that win.”

Still, the Big East is a tough conference, and every opponent presents a formidable challenge, regardless of records. Despite being shutout in its last three games, Villanova is still capable of putting the ball in the net. Senior forward Katie Ryan’s six goals, which tie her for third-most in the Big East, prove it.

“We know [Villanova’s] a bit down,” Chin said. “Hopefully we can take advantage of that. But ultimately, when it comes down to Friday’s matchup, it doesn’t matter what you’ve done in the past. It’s what can you bring in that day. They’ve got some good players — Katie Ryan can hurt you at any time.”

Ryan was a first all-conference player last season. Known for her speed and athleticism on the front line, the senior forward has 28 goals and 17 assists in 43 starts.

Pitt will face a much tougher test on Sunday when it travels to D.C. to take on Georgetown. The Hoyas (9-3, 3-1) have won five of their last six games and are in first place in the National Division with nine points.

Rioux said that her team needs to play with more intensity — something it seriously lacked during last Sunday’s loss to Seton Hall.

“We just came out completely flat — had no energy, nothing,” Rioux said. “Everything seemed slow. People are usually more tired for Sunday games because we play on Friday.”

But Pitt can’t afford to come out sleeping if they expect to beat Georgetown on Sunday. The Hoyas are averaging 2.33 goals per game — the second-most in the Big East — and surrendering only 1.17. They’ve fired 120 more shots than their opponents this season. Pitt, on the other hand, is averaging .58 goals per game and is tied with Syracuse for fewest goals in the conference.

Senior midfielder Katie Ruhe said that after last Sunday’s loss to Seton Hall, she thought her team needed to concentrate on putting away offensive chances. Pitt has seven goals on 147 attempts.

“I’m pretty sure that’s all we’re going to work on this week in practice,” Ruhe said.

The Panthers expect their hard work to pay off this weekend.

“Being able to put the ball in the back of the net — we’ve got to execute that better,” Chin said. “If we can get a good start and get up early, that’ll give us a good chance of winning the game.”

Pitt’s postseason hopes are starting to depend on it.