“Straw Dogs” has beautiful visuals, too many stereotypes

By Patrick Wagner

When Sam Peckinpah made the original “Straw Dogs” in 1971, it was seen as an indictment of mankind’s inherently violent nature — set in the English countryside. With Rod Lurie’s remake, the setting is changed to Texas — mankind remains the same. “Straw Dogs”

Directed by Rod Lurie

Starring: James Marsden, Kate Bosworth, Alexander Skarsgard

Grade: B+

When Sam Peckinpah made the original “Straw Dogs” in 1971, it was seen as an indictment of mankind’s inherently violent nature — set in the English countryside. With Rod Lurie’s remake, the setting is changed to Texas — mankind remains the same.

This might not be Sam Peckinpah’s movie, but the new “Straw Dogs” is a worthy rendering of a classic, only hampered by the relatively outdated plot. It steps out of the norms of a thriller and into the realm of psychological drama.

In an attempt to find peace and quiet write a script about the Battle of Stalingrad, small-time Hollywood writer David Sumner (James Marsden) and his actress wife, Amy (Kate Bosworth), move back to her rural hometown in the Deep South. Although most of the townspeople are hospitable, the “straw dogs,” ex-football players led by local war hero Charlie (Alexander Skarsgard), create more than mischief while fixing David’s barn.

Although the characters feel a bit more like caricatures in the 2011 version, the cast gives them much more than a comedic treatment. Bosworth and Skarsgard, in particular, tackle difficult roles with ease — each contributing a powerful performance as a character that is inherently hard to play.

The cinematography brings this startling vision of the South to life, and uses natural scenery to enhance the film’s sense of horror. Non-linear collage effects and orchestral music also help to create a tremendous sense of intensity, although not without a few shortcomings.

Whereas the characters themselves are excellent, the stereotypes seem a bit extreme. Furthermore, the exact dynamics of the town and a few mysterious details are left unanswered. The missing pieces take away from the powerful impact the American South can have as a setting and make the town come off rather “Deliverance”-like.

Structurally, the film overcomes thriller-genre cliches well, and doesn’t reveal its violent hand until about the last half-hour. For a film with such lurid gore, it’s not overdone, and — despite the presence of fake blood — it’s not farcical in the least.

Although “Straw Dogs” delivers a strong story in a visually powerful way, the movie’s success is ultimately hampered by its inability to create consistent, dynamic characters in a consistent, dynamic world. However, in terms of remakes, it stands out as a clear success.