Soccer: Pitt faces off with future ACC rival Syracuse

By Sean Corrado

After Syracuse and Pitt left the Big East in turmoil last week, the new Atlantic Coast… After Syracuse and Pitt left the Big East in turmoil last week, the new Atlantic Coast Conference acceptees will fittingly face off on the soccer field Saturday night at 7 p.m.

After a 3-1 loss at Rutgers last Saturday, the Pitt men’s soccer team begins an important four-game homestand looking for its first Big East victory. Pitt is now 2-6-1 and looks to improve its record against a struggling Syracuse team.

The Orange have a very similar record of 2-6-0, after most recently losing 2-1 to Binghamton on Tuesday. Like Pitt, Syracuse dropped its Big East opener. Marquette took the Orange down, 3-2, over the weekend.

Pitt freshman defender Derrick Smith started three of the last four games for Pitt and is excited for the challenge that Syracuse — and the ACC — will bring.

Smith understands that a win will come by putting high pressure on the team’s back line and paying attention to dangerous Orange players, such as forward Lars Muller.

“He will require some defensive attention, just so he doesn’t start a scoring streak or anything like that,” Smith said. “Overall, we will adjust to whoever appears to be dangerous on the field.”

Despite their respect for Syracuse’s talent, don’t think the Panther squad is inimidated by them or the ACC.

“We all are ready to take on the challenge of playing the top college teams in the country,” Smith said.

The matchup could not be more perfect. Both teams have just been accepted into the ACC.; both are coming off tough second-half losses; both are looking to capture their first conference wins.

In preparing to face the Orange, the Panthers plan to showcase their young talent — the teammembers who will be affected by the conference shift.

Sophomore Matt Aberegg made his first start in goal this season and could be back in the net against the Orange. The 6-foot-4 keeper had three saves last weekend against Rutgers’ high-scoring attack.

Sophomore Nico Wrobel — who has scored five of the Panthers’ seven goals this season — continued to demonstrate his value earlier this week. Wrobel had a strong drive to score Pitt’s only goal and lead the Panthers to a 1-0 victory over crosstown rival Duquesne.

The Orange are satisfied with the way they’ve been creating scoring opportunities lately, but they look to improve their overall play in Pittsburgh. The Orange took a tough 3-2 loss to Marquette after letting up a goal in the 88th minute.

“If we continue to play like that, the winning will take care of itself,” Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre said after last weekend’s game.

Syracuse junior forward Louis Clark echoed his coach’s confidence in the team’s scoring performance.

“It’s just putting the ball in the back of the net now,” Clark said after the Orange fell to Marquette. “That’s the only problem we have.”

This game will begin a stretch of four consecutive home games for the Panthers, who will be at home for six of their next seven games.

This will be the 18th meeting between Pitt and Syracuse’s soccer teams. The record is currently split at 7-7-3.