Supreme Court Justice praises Catholic law school education

By Danny Zaidi

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia visited Duquesne’s Law School to help celebrate its… Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia visited Duquesne’s Law School to help celebrate its 100th-year anniversary.

Catholic Law Schools served as the topic of Scalia’s Centennial Keynote Address Saturday at the A.J. Palumbo Center.

Scalia spoke in front of more than 800 people at the celebration about the ways in which he has tried to keep his religion from influencing his decisions on the Supreme Court, and he praised Duquesne’s approach of defending moral judgments based on religious views.

Since Scalia himself is a Catholic, the dean of the university asked him to speak about a Catholic law school education.

“Does my identity as a Catholic affect my legal decisions?” Scalia said.

Scalia, who attended Harvard Law School, emphasized that religion and law do not cross paths in his decision-making as a Supreme Court justice and as a Catholic. He cited his stance on abortion.

“My honest reading of the [Constitution] shows that it says nothing about abortion,” he said.

Duquesne President Charles Dougherty welcomed Scalia to the event by announcing a celebratory milestone for Scalia himself.

“Justice Scalia’s presence here today is most appropriate on several levels. We congratulate him for his service, for Monday marks the 25th anniversary of his own elevation to our nation’s highest court. Even more fitting is the way in which his background aligns with the history and mission of our law school,” Dougherty said.

Dougherty also praised Scalia’s performance as a Supreme Court justice.

“[Scalia is] one of the most widely recognized and widely respected figures in American law today,” Dougherty said.

Scalia, the most senior justice on the U.S. Supreme Court, joined the body on Sept. 26, 1986.

“I am happy to be here to participate in the centennial anniversary of Duquesne Law School,” Scalia said.

Ken Gormley, the dean of the law school, read from a special note from President Barack Obama during the ceremony.

“‘Generations of students, educators and staff have passed through your doors and made this school a valued place of learning for all who celebrate this milestone. I hope you take pride in your many contributions and achievements and I look forward to being sure that there are more to come.’ It is signed, ‘Barack Obama, The White House,’” Gormley said.

The ceremony went on to include a video tribute to Scalia and the bestowal of the Carol Los Mansmann Award for Distinguished Service to Scalia.

Scalia concluded the ceremony by congratulating the school and emphasizing how Catholic law schools can have their own distinct influence on the American justice system.