Pitt in the NFL: Revis, McCoy shine in week one

By Greg Trietley

The NFL season kicked off this weekend with several Pitt alums making their professional debuts… The NFL season kicked off this weekend with several Pitt alums making their professional debuts and others continuing their careers at football’s top level.

Here’s a look at how former Panthers performed in the NFL during week one:

Darrelle Revis (Pitt cornerback, 2004-2006) carried the Jets to a 27-24 win over the Cowboys when he intercepted Tony Romo at midfield in the final minute of a tied game Sunday night. His return brought New York into field-goal range, and Nick Folk kicked the game-winner with 27 seconds remaining.

“We wanted them to think it was one-on-one, but we actually had help on top,” Jets head coach Rex Ryan said in a press conference after the game. “Revis was able to undercut it and get the interception. It was a huge call by [defensive coordinator] Mike Pettine at the perfect time. Revis made a super play.”

Larry Fitzgerald (Pitt wide receiver, 2002-2003) had three receptions for 62 yards in his first regular-season game with new quarterback Kevin Kolb. So far, so good: Arizona beat Carolina, 28-21.

LeSean McCoy (Pitt running back, 2007-2008) had 122 yards on 15 carries in Philadelphia’s 31-13 win over St. Louis. His 7-yard touchdown reception opened the scoring for the Eagles, and his 49-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter capped it.

Teammate Dion Lewis, McCoy’s heir in the backfield at Pitt (2009-2010), began his professional career with a modest 10 yards on two carries against the Rams.

New Orleans placed Greg Romeus (Pitt defensive end, 2007-2010) on the “physically unable to perform” list on Sept. 2. Romeus, out indefinitely with a knee injury, is eligible to return in Week 7.

Another former Pitt defensive end, Jabaal Sheard (2007-2010), had three tackles — including two for a loss — in his debut with the Browns Sunday. Cleveland, though, dropped its home opener to Cincinnati, 27-17.

Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt wide receiver, 2008-2010) missed Kansas City’s opener against Buffalo due to a right-thumb injury sustained in a preseason altercation with teammate Thomas Jones. The Chiefs, who selected Baldwin in the first round of this year’s draft, lost 41-7.

The 49ers placed Nate Byham (Pitt tight end, 2006-2009) on injured reserve Sept. 3 due to a season-ending knee injury. As he’d been an excellent blocker in his time with Pitt, San Francisco had hoped Byham would fill a similar role in the pros.

Dom DeCicco (Pitt defensive back, 2007-2010) recorded his first career tackle in Chicago’s 30-12 win over Atlanta. DeCicco made the Bears’ roster after signing with them in late July as an undrafted free agent.

Henry Hynoski (Pitt fullback, 2008-2010) recorded his first NFL reception Sunday with the Giants. Eli Manning found him in the left flat for a 4-yard gain in the fourth quarter. New York lost to Washington, 28-14.

Aaron Berry (Pitt defensive back, 2006-2009) had four tackles in Detroit’s 27-20 win over Tampa Bay Sunday afternoon.

Two-time Pro Bowler Andy Lee (Pitt punter, 2000-2003) wasn’t overworked in San Francisco’s 33-17 win over Seattle. He punted five times, averaging 59.6 yards per punt.