Pitt in the NFL: Fitzgerald, McCoy stand out in week two

By Sean Corrado

Former Panthers didn’t disappoint in week two of the NFL season as Larry Fitzgerald and LeSean… Former Panthers didn’t disappoint in week two of the NFL season as Larry Fitzgerald and LeSean McCoy led the way for Pitt football alumni.

Fitzgerald (Pitt WR, 2002-2003) caught seven passes for 133 yards and a touchdown for the Arizona Cardinals, doubling his week-one yardage. Yet the performance was not enough to give Arizona a win, as the team fell to Washington in a nail-biter, 22-21.

The final touchdown came on a 73-yard completion from quarterback Kevin Kolb, a sign of great things to come for the new duo. Kolb was nailed as he released his throw to a wide-open Fitzgerald along the sideline. Fitzgerald’s ability to get open easily pairs with Kolb’s strong, accurate arm.

McCoy (Pitt RB, 2007-2008) again gave a fine performance but came home without a victory. His Eagles lost to Atlanta 31-35. Aside from the loss, McCoy is proving to NFL fans that he is not going to go through a “sophomore slump” in his second year as a full-time starter.

After his fine 122-rushing-yard performance in week one, McCoy gained 116 total yards (95 yards rushing, 21 receiving) on 22 touches and two red zone scores in week two. He demonstrated more of his power this week, bursting through tacklers at the goal line — the same fate the Big East tacklers met when trying to bring him down in 2008.

McCoy’s rookie teammate, Dion Lewis (Pitt RB, 2009-2010), did not receive any touches offensively but did receive some special teams play.

On the defensive side of the ball, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis (Pitt CB, 2004-2006) led New York’s defense to a 32-2 rout of Jacksonville, as the Jets held star Jaguar running back Maurice Jones-Drew without a touchdown.

Revis ended the game with three total tackles and held the Jaguars’ No. 1 wideout, Mike Thomas, to only three catches for 29 yards.

Cleveland’s Jabaal Sheard (Pitt DE, 2007-2010) recorded his first career sack against Indianapolis on Sunday. He finished the game with five total tackles in a 27-19 win.

Punter Andy Lee (Pitt P, 2000-2003) of the 49ers averaged 55.3 yards on six punts in an overtime loss to Dallas, nailing one inside the 20-yard line and another nearly 65 yards out.