Pitt offers classes for new OCC program

By Gideon Bradshaw

Pitt is holding a number of classes to introduce students to the revised Outside the Classroom… Pitt is holding a number of classes to introduce students to the revised Outside the Classroom Curriculum.

The Division of Student Affairs has made a number of significant changes to the Outside the Classroom Curriculum program this year, which are being outlined for students in OCC 101 classes throughout September and October.

Pitt OCC coordinator Scott Hoffman held the first 45-minute class on Tuesday, introducing about 15 students to the changes in the OCC curriculum.  

The Division of Student Affairs hired Hoffman as director of OCC one month ago. He oversees the structure and assessment of the curriculum and evaluates the program’s implementation based on students’ needs. Hoffman, whopreviously worked in a large public school district in California,also serves a liason between various campus entities to adminster the program and expand the curriculum.

Pitt created the OCC in the fall of 2008 as a way for students to keep track of activities they participate in on campus so that they can have a transcript outlining their achievements to show after graduation.

Over the summer, students and administrators worked to revamp the program. Student Government Board member James Landreneau led the OCC Student Advisory Committee, which was composed of 12 students and one supervisor, Residence Life director Shawn Brooks. Together, the goal was to make the program more “legitimate,” Landreneau said last month.

Students must fulfill core requirements in each of the 10 goal areas, in addition to numerous elective tasks that students can complete before finishing each goal area.

The most significant of these changes was that the new curriculum will require students to complete fewer, more specific requirements.

About the old program, Hoffman said, “I’ve had students joke that they get OCC credit just for wearing seat belts.”

Hoffman said that Pitt originally implemented the program hoping students would use it to create a well-rounded college experience. The updated program allows students to better demonstrate qualities such as leadership, initiative, communication skills and other traits that would make them more competitive candidates for graduate schools and prospective employers.

Examples of events at which students may receive credit include Yogurt and Yoga under the category “Sense of Self” and the benefit performance Violin for Vasculitis for the categories “Appreciation of the Arts” and “Global and Cultural Awareness.”

Upon completion, students will also be eligible to join the OCC Honorary Society, another addition to the new program. Members of the society will be eligible for exclusive benefits, including dinner with Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey and audiences with visiting dignitaries. The first induction ceremony for members will take place in late October, Landreneau said.

Pearl Eni, a sophomore in the pre-med program who attended OCC events last year, said she was more enthusiastic about the program following the meeting Tuesday.

“I’m actually thinking about joining the Honorary Society,” she said after the meeting.

Students using the new program self-report when they fulfill a requirement by logging into the OCC website at my.pitt.edu and accessing their own transcripts. But now, instead of students just signing off that they participated in the event, they have to write a personal reflection on the activity, offering verfication of their participation.

While this may sound like an easy opportunity to lie, Hoffman emphasized that he didn’t foresee that problem.

“If you sit down for an interview with an employer and the employer asks you about an experience that you haven’t had, they’re gonna know,” Hoffman said.

Other students were skeptical about whether completing the curriculum made a difference.

Rachel DeLong, a sophomore majoring in anthropology and history, said that regardless of the changes, neither the program nor attending a meeting seemed worthwhile. DeLong did not attend the meeting on Tuesday.

After her freshman year, she said she was too busy with classes and other organizations to spend time completing the transcript.

“It seems like something you’d include just as a resume-padder,” she said.

Student Affairs will be holding more OCC 101 classes through the rest of September and October to try to educate students about the new curriculum.

The second OCC class will be today at 1:30 p.m. in room 630 of the William Pitt Union. Next week, classes will be open to students on Wednesday and Thursday in room 918 of the William Pitt Union, at 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. respectively.