Kirschman: What freshmen can expect from Pitt sports

By Lauren Kirschman

Welcome back, Pitt students. It’s time for another year of Panther sports.

If you’re a… Welcome back, Pitt students. It’s time for another year of Panther sports.

If you’re a freshman, you might be wondering what to expect. Well, settle in and listen up. Here are a few things to expect as this school year — and sports year — starts up.

First, in case you missed the various billboards, ads and television commercials, new Pitt football coach Todd Graham plans on bringing some high-octane football to Heinz Field.

He’ll tell you it’s going to be fast, explosive and high-scoring. He’s excited, the players are excited and if you listen to the buzz around campus, the students are excited, too.

Now, you weren’t here last season when Pitt lost to West Virginia 35-10 and let an outright Big East Championship slip away.

You weren’t here two years ago either, on that snowy day in December, when the Panthers lost to Cincinnati 45-44 in the Big East Championship game.

The Dave Wannstedt-era passed you by, so maybe you aren’t as jaded as some of the cautiously optimistic upperclassmen on campus.

For the older students, this season will bring a jarring change. For you, it will seem completely normal when Pitt scores 35-plus points a game and snaps the ball every 15 to 18 seconds.

Here’s hoping your careers as Pitt students and fans start out well — unlike those of this year’s senior class, whose first football game as Pitt students was a 27-17 loss to Bowling Green.

In a few months, basketball season is going to roll around. At that point, you’ll have a chance to sit in one of the top student sections in the country and watch a team that is consistently ranked in the top 25.

Older students might tell you to prepare yourself mentally for the postseason, when your beloved Panthers might break your heart.

They probably remember He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named from Villanova sinking Pitt in 2009 and last year’s bizarre and devastating upset loss to Butler.

But no matter what happens in March, there are a few things you will see no matter what.

The Panthers will compete for a title in the best conference in the nation.

Senior guard Ashton Gibbs is one of the best players in the Big East and the country. You’ll get to see him put on a show.

College GameDay will be in town for the Louisville game on Jan. 21. Make sure you walk up to the Petersen Events Center for the filming of the show. You might not get another chance during your Pitt career.

The Panthers will mostly likely perform well enough in the regular season to earn a high seed in the NCAA Tournament. From there, it’s all about how well the team is playing at the time — and more than a little bit of luck.

But with the men’s basketball team, a Final Four and a National Championship always seem within the realm of possibility. There’s not much more you can ask for. Enjoy it.

The women’s basketball team has struggled a bit as of late, especially last year when the Panthers only had freshmen and seniors on the roster. They finished under .500 and missed the postseason.

This year, Pitt is bringing in a top-20 recruiting class to help the cause. The Panthers might still struggle this season, but in your time here at Pitt, they will probably climb their way back into the NCAA Tournament.

As for the rest of the sports on campus, make sure you venture up to the Petersen Sports Complex this season to catch a soccer, softball or baseball game. The complex opened last season and it’s a beauty.

You’ll be able to watch these games without getting a ride to the soccer fields that used to be about 30 minutes away. Now you can get there with just a short walk to upper campus.

If you’re a sports fan, there’s really no excuse for not checking out a Division I game at least a few times this year. Who knows, if you go to a baseball game, you might see the next Pitt player to get drafted to the major league.

Last season, the Panther tied the school record for drafted players with seven.

Go see the volleyball team’s High Honorable Mention recruiting class or watch the wrestling team attempt to defend its Eastern Wrestling League dual season title.

Most of all, remember that you’re at a University that players Division I sports in a major conference, and you have four years to soak it all in. You’ll regret it later if you don’t.