Pitt welcomes class of 2015 with convocation

By Amy Friedenberger

Molly Stieber said that she remembered sitting four years ago where the freshmen sat today at… Molly Stieber said that she remembered sitting four years ago where the freshmen sat today at Convocation, wearing an oversized Holland Hall T-shirt.

Stieber, now a senior and SGB president, addressed Pitt’s freshmen class on Wednesday at the annual Freshman Convocation at the Petersen Events Center, an event that marks the official beginning of the incoming class’s time at Pitt. Various administrators also joined in welcoming the new undergraduate class.

Provost and senior vice chancellor Patricia Beeson opened the ceremony at about 3 p.m. by saying that the convocation is one of a great number of traditions at Pitt.

“We’ve been welcoming students for 225 years,” Beeson said. “They’ve made their mark on this institution, as I expect your class will.”

More than 3,000 freshmen attended the hour-long convocation. Chancellor Mark Nordenberg said they come from 47 states and 14 countries.

“We’ve come a long way from having one teacher teaching a handful of students in a log cabin,” Nordenberg said.

Nordenberg said the school’s 225th anniversary would be celebrated Feb. 28, 2012. The event will offer a day to acknowledge the many achievements of past classes, which he hoped would continue with this year’s class.

He cited Pitt’s scholarship recipients, including three Rhodes Scholars, five Marshall and Truman scholars and 22 Goldwater scholars, who have come from previous classes.

“I know achievements will come from this group,” Nordenberg said.

Stieber said that Pitt not only excels in academics, but at athletics and programs such as its study abroad offerings — which she urged freshmen to take advantage of while at Pitt.

“You don’t want to look back on college and wish you’d done something different,” Stieber said.

Freshman Laura Liebers said that Stieber’s advice to become involved resonated with her. Coming from the small town of Niskayuna, New York, she said she’s excited to explore the city of Pittsburgh and all of the opportunites the University has to offer.

Vice provost and dean of students Kathy Humphrey followed Nordenberg, welcoming and expressing her eagerness to take on a new undergraduate class. She also let the parents know that their children are in good hands.

“I’m the mother of twin college students, so I know what it’s like to send your children off to college,” Humphrey said.

Drawing inspiration from Plato’s “Republic,” Humphrey encouraged the students to take charge of their own lives. She urged students to get involved in extracurriculars and to not be afraid to ask for help when they need it.

But most importantly, she wants the students to enjoy their college years, by waking up every morning with a smile.

“I remind myself that I put the smile on my face, and no one can take it away,” Humphrey said.

Freshman Samantha Shipeck said Humphrey’s speech “invoked the Pitt spirit.”

“She talked about [how] an individual’s ability to have power over one’s own life was really important,” Shipeck said.

Stieber closed the ceremony by leading the class in reciting the “Pitt Promise.” By 4 p.m., Pitt’s freshmen class flowed out the front doors of the Petersen Events Center, officially adding themselves to Pitt’s community.