Basketball: Blair returns during second week of Pro-Am League

By Lauren Kirschman

The future of Pitt basketball put on a show at the Greentree SportsPlex Wednesday night while… The future of Pitt basketball put on a show at the Greentree SportsPlex Wednesday night while the past returned for a surprise visit.

Former Pitt star and current San Antonio Spur DeJuan Blair played in the third Pittsburgh Basketball Club Pro-Am League game of the night, but it was the current Pitt players on the court during the second game that impressed the most.

Blair, a center who declared for the NBA draft after his sophomore season, arrived shortly before his game was set to start, watching as incoming Pitt freshman John Johnson and sophomore J.J. Moore energized the crowd and led their team to a win over senior Ashton Gibbs’ squad.

Through the first two weeks of the league, Pitt players have put up the majority of top performances.

But the first game of the night on Wednesday didn’t feature any Panthers — redshirt freshman Isaiah Epps and junior Dante Taylor didn’t play — and The Lair defeated SteelCityTickets.com, a team made up mostly of incoming West Virginia freshmen, 61-60 in overtime.

Robert Morris redshirt sophomore Caron Williams and former Colonial Dallas Green led The Lair with 14 points each.

West Virginia junior Aaric Murray, who transferred from La Salle, finished with 11 points and 17 rebounds for SteelCityTickets.com

The league features players from schools such as Pitt, West Virginia, Duquesne and Robert Morris, as well as former Division I athletes and players from area high schools and other Division I colleges.

The athletes are divided between seven teams, and the league holds games every Monday and Wednesday through July 13 and continues with playoffs from July 18 to 20.

Each night features three games beginning at 7 p.m., and admission is free. Due to NCAA rules, the league can’t charge for anything, including admission, parking or programs. Expenses are paid by corporate sponsors.

Center Court 83, SPK Law 73

Johnson and Moore teamed up to defeat SPK Law on Wednesday night, holding Gibbs to his least impressive outing at the Pro-Am League this summer.

Despite scoring 29 points, Gibbs shot only 8-of-27 from the field and 4-of-16 from beyond the arc. Most of his struggles stemmed from Johnson’s tough defense on the perimeter.

The incoming freshman guarded Gibbs for the majority of the game, and his intensity made it difficult for Gibbs to get open looks and hit shots. It remains to be seen whether Johnson’s tough defense will translate to legal defense in a collegiate game where the officiating will be more strict.

Johnson contributed his share on offense as well, finishing with 20 points, but it was Moore who led Center Court in scoring. The sophomore finished with 25 points, shooting 8-of-14 from the field.

The most impressive player on Wednesday, Moore demonstrated his versatility throughout the game, shooting 3-of-5 from the behind the arc and also consistently making moves toward the basket to score or pass off to a teammate.

With Moore and Johnson leading the way, Center Court jumped out to an early lead and never relinquished it.

If the two can transfer their play in summer league to the Panthers team this season, the young players could play an important role in helping Pitt adjust to the loss of three starters in Brad Wanamaker, Gary McGhee and Gilbert Brown..

Redshirt sophomore Lamar Patterson added 17 points and 10 rebounds for SPK while incoming freshman Khem Birch helped Moore and Johnson with eight points and 12 rebounds.

PBC 73, UPMC 60

Four years ago, incoming freshman DeJuan Blair made an impressive first appearance at the Pro-League.

On Wednesday, Blair returned to play in the league for the third and final game of the night.

He said it was his first time playing basketball since the Memphis Grizzlies eliminated the Spursfrom the NBA playoffs in April.

The rust showed as Blair went 4-of-17 from the field to score nine points. But Blair proved solid as ever on the boards as he grabbed 12 rebounds for UPMC.

With the NBA lockout cancelling professional summer leagues, the Pro-Am League gives Blair a place to play competitive basketball. He declined to discuss the lockout, but said he’ll return to play in the league games again this summer.

“I’ll just keep playing here,” he said. “There’s no lockout here.”

Blair teamed up with incoming freshman Durand Johnson and redshirt sophomore Talib Zanna while facing off against Moore and Birch, who played in two games on Wednesday. He said the younger players had good energy.

“They’re still learning, though,” he added. “I’m going to try and play a little bit more with them, just try and get them a little better.”

Zanna finished with eight points and 10 rebounds, while Johnson added six points and four rebounds.

In their second game, Moore and Birch both put up six points. Birch added five rebounds.