Panthers named to watch lists

By Lauren Kirschman

Pitt football players Ray Graham and Brandon Lindsey were named to the watch lists for two… Pitt football players Ray Graham and Brandon Lindsey were named to the watch lists for two national college football awards on Tuesday.

The Maxwell Football Club announced that Graham, a junior running back, was named to the Maxwell Award watch list and that senior defensive end Brandon Lindsey was named to the Bednarik Award watch list.

There are 66 players on the Maxwell Award watch list. The award, which was established in 1937, is given to America’s most outstanding collegiate football player as determined by a panel made up of sports writers, sportscasters, NCAA head coaches and Maxwell Football Club members. A Pitt player hasn’t won the Maxwell Award since Hugh Green received it in 1980. Tony Dorsett also won the award in 1976.

Other Big East players on the list include Cincinnati senior quarterback Zach Collaros, Cincinnati senior running back Isaiah Pead and West Virginia junior quarterback Geno Smith.

Graham rushed for 922 yards on 148 carries last season with eight touchdowns. He also had 213 yards and two touchdowns on 24 receptions and returned 23 kicks for 501 total yards.

Graham was third in the Big East Conference in all-purpose yardage. He recorded 277 yards against Florida International University last season, the second-highest rushing total for a player in Pitt’s history. Dorsett set the record when he ran for 303 yards against Notre Dame in 1975.

The Bednarik Award, first awarded in 1995, is given to the nation’s best defensive player. The award winner is also determined by sports writers, sportscasters, NCAA head coaches and Maxwell Football Club Members.

Former defensive end Greg Romeus was named to the watch list in 2010. A Pitt player has never won the Bednarik Award.

West Virginia junior defensive end Bruce Irvin, West Virginia senior cornerback Keith Tandy and Connecticut senior defensive tackle Kendall Reyes also made the list from the Big East.

Lindsey, one of 65 athletes named to the watch list, led the Big East and was 16th in the country in tackles for loss with 1.38 per game last season. An All-Big East Second Team selection, Lindsey also ranked 16th in sacks with 0.77 sacks per game. He finished the year with 51 tackles, including 17.5 tackles for loss. He also had 10 sacks and three forced fumbles.