Men’s Basketball: Big East announces schedule

By Lauren Kirschman

The Big East Conference announced league opponents for the 2011-12 season today and the Pitt… The Big East Conference announced league opponents for the 2011-12 season today and the Pitt men’s basketball team will play Louisville, West Virginia and South Florida twice.

Pitt will play home-and-away series with the Mountaineers and the Bulls for the second consecutive season.

The Big East’s news release said that repeat opponents are determined by “natural interest, geography rivalries, television contractual obligations and competitive balance.”

The remainder of the Panthers’ home schedule includes Cincinnati, Georgetown, Providence, Rutgers, St. John’s and Villanova.

Pitt will face Connecticut, DePaul, Marquette, Notre Dame, Seton Hall and Syracuse on the road.

The Panthers finished the season with a 28-6 record last season with a 15-3 conference record. The Big East Regular Season Champions, Pitt fell to Connecticut in the first round of the Big East Tournament 76-74.

The Panthers also lost to Butler 71-70 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament after earning a No. 1 seed.

West Virginia and Louisville both advanced to the NCAA Tournament last season. The Mountaineers ended the year 21-12 after losing to Kentucky 71-63 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Morehead State upset the Cardinals 62-61 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Louisville finished with a 25-10 overall record.

South Florida had a 10-13 record last year.

In the nonconference portion of the schedule, the Panthers will face Tennessee in the Big East/SEC Challenge. Pitt will also compete in the Philly HoopGroup Classic against Rider (Nov. 13), LaSalle (Nov. 22) and Robert Morris (Nov. 27) at the Petersen Events Center.

The remaining Philly HoopGroup Classic game will take place at The Palestra in Philadelphia against Penn on Nov. 25.

Pitt’s full 2011-12 schedule will be released at a later date.