Community cleans closets, swaps old threads

By Natalie Bell

A gaggle of women dug through piles of clothes, unearthing styles from as far back as the… A gaggle of women dug through piles of clothes, unearthing styles from as far back as the ’70s. Some of the clothes were old enough to be trendy again while some were never en vogue in the first place.

Ordinarily, clothes swaps happen among friends of conveniently similar sizes, a social way to refresh a tired wardrobe and to shop without spending money. But organizers for Redd Up Thread Up decided to take that idea and transform it into a community-wide event.

“I think, with clothing swaps, people do them individually, among groups of friends, but not on a community level,” event organizer Jennie Roth said.

This Saturday was the second realization of Redd Up Thread Up — the first one in November raised almost $270 to benefit the Women’s Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh — and this time the organizers raised $383 to benefit the East End Cooperative Ministries, which helps  the less-fortunate in the Pittsburgh area. This summer’s Redd Up Thread Up partner organizations included contemporary art museum the Mattress Factory and a group trying to start a new four-year college in Pittsburgh, the Saxifrage School.

The event took place in the un-air-conditioned Pub:Think in the North Side, the Saxifrage School’s future headquarters and a nontraditional education environment. Each shopper purchased a bag — $10, but half off with a clothing donation — and then filled it with whatever clothing and accessories she found.

Roth noted that the sale allowed for less-expensive shopping than would a retail store. It also beat out the prices at places like Goodwill, particularly if shoppers brought in old clothes from their own closets.

“It’s a cool way to take a gamble and see if you find a great dress,” Roth said.

Morgan Stewart, 27, was hoping to find a few chic garments for the $5 bag she exchanged her old clothes for. The Friendship resident had particular interest in the event because she has friends working for the Saxifrage School, which plans to  make a school hosted in non-traditional locations where students get both a liberal arts and technical degree. She felt the event helped young women exchange clothes that might otherwise be pricey.

“I think a lot of people our age can’t really afford always buying a lot of new clothes. It’s nice to get to try to exchange a lot of stuff,” she said.

And it wasn’t just the shoppers who benefited from Redd Up Thread Up.

All of the proceeds went to the East End Cooperative Ministries, an interfaith organization with outreach programs ranging from after-school programs for children to housing for chronically homeless men and a respite care facility for older people discharged from the hospital. Melanie Sudduth was working to introduce shoppers to her organization. She is part of the council of congregation for the Rodman Street Missionary Baptist Church, which is part of the East End Cooperative Ministries.

“It’s a holistic approach where you’re ministering physically, mentally and spiritually,” Sudduth said.

She finds that Redd Up Thread Up’s dedication to helping the community, particularly through clothing, is in line with her organization’s ideals. Because of the difficult nature of donating clothing to shelters, Roth says that she tries to save clothing for the next Redd Up Thread Up or sends them to Goodwill.

“That’s part of providing for those who are less-fortunate — food, clothing [and] living are very expensive,” Sudduth said.

Through a continuation of Redd Up Thread Up — Roth hopes to host another in the fall — the event’s organizers want to have the opportunity to work with other similar organizations.

“I think it’s great to do it for a charity and get the whole community involved,” Roth said. “There are so many great organizations that are in Pittsburgh.”