Stunning imagery in Totem, a trip through evolution

By Natalie Bell

“Totem”

Cirque du Soleil

Now through June… “Totem”

Cirque du Soleil

Now through June 5

Tickets $58-$238.50

tickets.cirquedusoleil.com

There’s a reason that Cirque du Soleil always seems to come up as the crème de la crème of circuses — because it is.

In the most mesmerizing and colorful of spectacles, the performers seem to defy gravity, notions of the body’s limits and common sense. They contort and move in unimaginable ways. “Totem,” which premiered in 2010 and is currently touring the U.S., focuses on the evolution of man and his connection with the earth.

Just behind the Fruit Market of 20th Street in the Strip District, the tent seems to have burst up from the dusty, barren lot — a blue and yellow world of its own for the show. The inside has most of the comforts of a conventional theater such as cool air and cushioned seats — more accommodating than the traditional circus image of a sweltering evening on hard benches.

“Totem” begins with mankind as an amphibians, huddled within a large bony shell, intended to represent a turtle. The amphibious creatures move and hop and eventually begin to swing in spectacularly timed movements on the bars of the shell surrounding them.

From the ceiling, a dazzling being clad in glittering silver drops. He represents the life force and appears several times throughout the show, as the aquatic beings become monkeys and then man.

This brings up an interesting quality of the show — “Totem,” despite centering on the theme of evolution, uses no animals. Costumed performers play all the monkeys — but their jumps and walks are spot-on with the physicality of primates.

The show goes on to include the Crystal Ladies, who juggle sparkling squares of fabric with their feet and hands. Later, businessmen spin from poles balanced on each other’s shoulders — one man supports the pole while up to two climb and perform acrobatic feats on it. a pair of teasing lovebirds perform a trapeze number, coyly grappling for space on the bar they share, swinging from one another’s legs, arms and torsos…

“Totem” has gorgeous imagery, between the performers’ dancing and the vivid costumes. Each act is practiced to perfection, and the stunts often seem to defy gravity.

The show culminates in a Bollywood-style dance number that includes all the performers.

One more thing many might enjoy about “Totem:” the circus-like performance includes no conventional clowns. The are humorous characters that pop up — like an overly styled and somewhat sleazy European tourist —  often have exaggerated features, but not clownishly so. There’s also a “tracker” in a stylized mask and matador costume — but none of these people are actual clowns.

As those who have sat bitterly at home as their friends without clown fears frolic at the circus will especially appreciate, Cirque du Soleil is perfect entertainment for all.