‘Fast Five’ has deeper plot than past ‘Fast and Furious’ installments

By Patrick Wagner

“Fast Five”

Directed by: Justin Lin

Staring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana… “Fast Five”

Directed by: Justin Lin

Staring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Dwayne Johnson

Grade: B+

Though women have long been stereotyped as adulating Hugh Grant-rom-com types, perhaps no greater answer — or manswer — has come from the opposite sex  than the bombastically executed “The Fast and the Furious” series.

Still, despite it’s macho mentality, the film — appropriately titled “Fast Five” — isn’t just an excuse for explosions and actions. The film has an in-depth plot that delivers a satisfying caper with the right moves to make it an action extravaganza.

After convict Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) is sprung from a life sentence by ex-cop Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker) and Toretto’s sister Mia (Jordana Brewster), the troop flees to a beautifully contematically-captured Brazil. There they agree to take “one last job” — notice the quotes.

In typical action-movie fashion, this does not go as planned. The group ends up seeking revenge — with the help of an international team that includes protagonists from all previous movies in the franchise — against a crooked mogul, Hernan Reyes (Joaquim de Almeida), while also being pursued by a top U.S. law enforcement agent named Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson).

The plot is itself something of a surprise. Rather than simply being used as a frame to string together action sequences, it takes the form of that of a caper film (à la the “Ocean’s” movies) that unites the best characters from the series to make the action on screen sometimes humorous, sometimes romantic and always entertaining. It’s much more complex than its previous installments.

Don’t get me wrong, I debated how often to use the word “mangasm” in this review, but “Fast Five” is often much more than what critics typically pin the series as being, and it still delivers the fun. The stunts are mind-blowing in their scope, and watching the rubber burn in a cornucopia of motor vehicles is enough to convert anyone into a “Fast” fan.

Tough attitudes and life-or-death situations abound, but the film also underscores everything from the plight of the poor in Latin America to the role of a father in a child’s life.

The actors handle each of these scenarios appropriately — with the supporting cast being one of the most entertaining in recent memory. The sarcastic interplay between Roman (Tyrese Gibson) and Tej (Ludacris) is a particular highlight. Johnson also shines as a secondary antagonist and proves himself one of the finest stars in the Schwarzenegger/Stallone tradition of action stars.

While it’s not going to change your mind about the “Fast” films, “Fast Five” is a worthy addition to the series. It puts plot higher on the list than did many of its predecessors and only accelerates the action.